July 4th brisket, almost!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning all,
So, the idea was to have brisket yesterday. And there were 2 firsts for me.
First. I'm doing it on my weber performer.
And second. I'm testing the Tappecue thermometer.
Got the brisket rubbed good with on point rub. And let it sit overnight.

IMG_0625.JPG

Next morning I got the weber started. Snake with kingsford natural with hickory chips spread through it. When the lid thermometer read 300. I put the brisket in. I knew that would read high.

IMG_0626.JPG

Brisket on with a drip pan under it.

IMG_0627.JPG

Nice light smoke!

IMG_0628.jpg

Tappecue is showing that I'm doing good with heat control.
Now, here's is where the "almost" came into play. I hit the stall, big time, and at 9PM. Which was the 13 hour mark. I took it out of the smoker and let it cool down, And put in fridge.
Then ordered pizza.
This morning I put it in the oven at 250 and after 4 hours it hit 200. And probed perfect.

IMG_0629.JPG

The bark on this is perfection! Let it rest for a hour.

P7050034.JPG

I decided that we'll have pulled brisket this time.

P7050035.jpg

The top 1/4 to 1/2 inch was a little dry. Not Griswald turkey level dry though. And since I'm pulling it. It'll mix in with the rest of it fine.
So tonight it'll be pulled brisket with fries. Note: there isn't much bark left. Self control is a weakness of mine for certain things....
As for the Tappecue airprobe2. I'm not pleased with it at all. I'm sending it back. Constantly loosing signal. Freezes up.

Last edited:
looks tasty Steve! what is this self control you speak of, i can't seem to find it anywhere wish i could then maybe i could start drinking again :emoji_laughing:

Man Steve, you did that brisket justice buddy. That looks fantastic. Sorry you had to order pizza though but at least you'll be eating good this evening.

Robert

Aside from the issue Steve, it looks awesome.

Hope to get an update tonight or tomorrow on how it tasted, I already know the bark was good. :emoji_laughing:

BTW - Some how I missed the new Weber....when did that get adopted buddy?

BIG LIKE!

John

Looks good Steve. Really nice job.
Thank you!

Looks really good from here. Enjoy those sandwiches!
Thanks! I'm gonna. If I can wait until dinner that is!

looks tasty Steve! what is this self control you speak of, i can't seem to find it anywhere wish i could then maybe i could start drinking again :emoji_laughing:
Lol! Thanks Jim! We all have our weaknesses!

Man Steve, you did that brisket justice buddy. That looks fantastic. Sorry you had to order pizza though but at least you'll be eating good this evening.

Robert
Thanks bud! We'll be eating great!

Aside from the issue Steve, it looks awesome.

Hope to get an update tonight or tomorrow on how it tasted, I already know the bark was good. :emoji_laughing:

BTW - Some how I missed the new Weber....when did that get adopted buddy?

BIG LIKE!

John
Thanks John! I adopted the weber back in Feb. Those adoption fees $$!

• Haha
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Boy howdy, that looks fantastic Steve, big Like! Nice job on knowing when to cut bait and drop a line the next day, brisket sannys should be delicious! RAY

Looks good Steve, sorry the therm didn’t add up to your expectations, but I have heard a few bad reviews on that therm.
Al

Boy howdy, that looks fantastic Steve, big Like! Nice job on knowing when to cut bait and drop a line the next day, brisket sannys should be delicious! RAY
Lol! Ann was getting hangry. So I had to draw the line somewhere!

Looks good Steve, sorry the therm didn’t add up to your expectations, but I have heard a few bad reviews on that therm.
Al
Thanks Al! I saw some bad reviews on them too. But thought I'd try it anyway. Lesson learned.

Looks great Steve!! I’m going to pull my next point I think. I’d been considering one of the wireless probe units. Think I’ll just order some more probes for my FireBoard.

Looks great Steve!! I’m going to pull my next point I think. I’d been considering one of the wireless probe units. Think I’ll just order some more probes for my FireBoard.

Thanks Jeff! From what I've seen with these probes. You might want to do that. I had high hopes to use it for my rotisserie and IP. Back to the drawing board.

Well Steve, the brisket looks great and I'd sure tear up a plate of it. Anyway, I hate to hear that about the Tappecue and losing signal, but good to know as I am one who can learn from others. You only have to tell me that something is hot, I don't need to touch it myself to prove it :emoji_wink:...

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky