Juicy Hamburger Pattys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hamburger has just plain gotten expensive.

Well don't look now, but everything is climbing.
First, fuel is rising. Diesel jumped up ~ $0.25 per gallon in my town last week.
And if it costs more to deliver the goods, we have to pay more.
Milk is up. And almost everything is going up.
So about all you get grinding your own is the relative assurance you know what went into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone has their own budget, but unless you are trying to make burgers from prime ribeye or filet mignon (bad choices, BTW), the increase in cost is going to be pretty minor, unless you're feeding several dozen people. But more to the point, the improvement in taste, juiciness, and texture is not subtle. On that last point about texture, coarse grind is often recommended when grinding meat for burgers and is NOT what you usually get in the package at the supermarket.

Even if you don't yet own a grinder, if you have a food processor you can approximate a grind if you take partially frozen meat (very stiff); cut it into chunks, and then pulse it, 1-2 seconds at a time, in a food processor. Cook's Illustrated and their TV site, America's Test Kitchen, have tutorials which show how to do this. Here is one of those, from YouTube:

[edit]As I was getting ready to post this, YouTube started playing another burger video. This has almost 26 million views which is astronomical for a cooking video:

[edit2]I just watched the video all the way through. I only posted it because it had so many views. Having watched it, I have two comments: 1) I think he seasons the burgers about a dozen times. As someone who uses salt very sparingly, I don't think I could eat anything with that much salt. 2) He never makes any mention of the meat, what it contains, how it was ground, or how he formed those patties (they look like they were formed in a cookie-cutter).

So, I learned a little, but I don't think I'll be following all of his ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
I have about 30 pounds of hamburger meat in the freezer. My wife picked it from a coworker who's family ranches nearby. It's really good for casseroles, burritos, etc, where you don't want much fat. I can't use it for hamburgers as it is so lean. What would you grind into it for more fat content?

That's a great idea guys. I can pick up pork butts pretty cheap here too. Haven't seen the 50/50 blend. But I bet it would sell.

Sometimes I like a thicker patty so the bun doesn't overwhelm the taste of meat.

With smash burgers, I put two 3oz patties per bun. Two smaller patties gets more of that caramelized crust than 1 bigger one.

Out of all the good advice I've received, I want to try your smash burgers at fairly high heat (thin patty) and season on the grill. Those first and work up to thicker pattys.

My Mom got me a cheap plastic grinder for Christmas and it works surprisingly well. For me, I would try and use some trim from a brisket (there is alot usually). Well known burger enhancer. If you're lucky you can usually get pork or beef fat for free from a good butcher.

In the spirit of this thread I just put added half pound ground pork to a batch of Manwich. Curious if the wife will bust me... LOL :)

Out of all the good advice I've received, I want to try your smash burgers at fairly high heat (thin patty) and season on the grill. Those first and work up to thicker pattys.

From what I've seen, smash burgers are a flattop burger. Not a grill burger.
(Or a big old seasoned cast iron frying pan)

Watch how simple a simply delicious burger can be...

How to Make a Smash Burger at Home | Bon Appétit <Link<

Last edited:
My Mom got me a cheap plastic grinder for Christmas and it works surprisingly well. For me, I would try and use some trim from a brisket (there is alot usually). Well known burger enhancer. If you're lucky you can usually get pork or beef fat for free from a good butcher.

In the spirit of this thread I just put added half pound ground pork to a batch of Manwich. Curious if the wife will bust me... LOL :)

Ha, Ha, Sam.
I made Manwich with a pound of 80/20 yesterday. Ate 3, saved the rest.
(Yeah, I like it that much. The tomater in it tears up my tummy though. )

It takes some learning to nail smashburgers and even other burgers. You want a crust just like bark on smoked food. At first you will be convinced you are ruining it but trust me, hit it hard and then rest. That's the key. Resist flipping and let it rip. Definitely outdoor cooking for us so it qualifies as "smoking meat" :) Last I looked into it the 5 guys griddles and other smashers are rocking like 600F or so.

Same here SonnyE SonnyE . Stuff kills my insides too. The day off beers aren't gonna help either... (looks for the ranitidine) Preliminary sniffs with the pork are VERY encouraging. Wife has even stirred the crock a few times. :eek:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky