Joining from Japan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome Yoro!!
Glad you Joined us!
Like.
Your Vittles look Great, and the Rainbow Trout look Tasty!!
Do they call them "Rainbows" in Japan??

Bear (from SouthEast Pennsylvania)

Thank you.
They are indeed called "rainbow trout" in Japanese: nijimasu. "Niji" means rainbow, and "masu" means trout. They aren't native to Japan, though, so the ones I smoked were farmed trout. I think there are some rivers with native brown trout in Japan, but I would say ayu and yamame (a type of salmon) are the most common river fish eaten here.

Apple is easily accessible, and I could probably get hold of the wood from persimmon. With a bit of effort I think I can find stuff that isn't readily available in the USA, such as Kabosu and Yuzu. Has anyone tried pear wood here? I might just be able to find Japanese pear (nashi) wood to use for smoking. This is one aspect of smoking in Japan that I am really excited to look into.
There are one or two other native hardwoods I am looking to get hold of for smoking, but it might take me some time.
Apple is one of my favorites. Have never tried persimmon or pear.

Welcome from Wisconsin. That cardboard box smoker caught my eye. Now I need to build one of those. :emoji_wink:

JC :emoji_cat:

Apple is one of my favorites. Have never tried persimmon or pear.

Apple chips are easily available here, and with a bit of searching I bet I could find proper pieces. Persimmon and Japanese pear (nashi) I've not seen for sale, but I think I could get hold of some with a bit of searching. Not sure how persimmon would turn out, but I imagine pear wood would be pretty good.

Welcome from Wisconsin. That cardboard box smoker caught my eye. Now I need to build one of those. :emoji_wink:

JC :emoji_cat:

I bought it, but I don't think it would be very difficult to make. It has a flap on one side to help regulate airflow, and on each corner there are two cuts about a quarter of an inch apart, so that you push the cardboard inwards and it serves as a place to rest the wire net.
I put some soaked chips into an aluminium bowl, then add some hot charcoal, add some more chips and stick the bowl in the smoker using tongs. The amount of smoke lets me know how it's going. Primitive, but I've gotten good results from it, and it was a good, cheap way to start my smoking journey.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky