Jimmy Dean regular Premium Pork sausage, breakfast clone by Dave in AZ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A 1000g pork butt has 190g fat, or 19g per 100g. If you want 34% fat in the finished product, you need 340g fat in the 1000g total. Keeping numbers simple, 800g pork butt has 152g fat. Add 200g of fat (to make a total weight of 1000g), gives you 352g fat, or 35%, which is close. You can always add a pinch more pork butt and a pinch less fat to narrow it down to 34%, but I like the KISS principle, 800/200.

Thanks for all of the other ingredients. I am definitely going to give this a try. Like you, I have tried many other JD clone recipes that didn't cut it.

I have one question. What do you mean by “Mix to light-med protein extraction else crumbly.”

During mixing we extract protein through the addition of salt, which solubilizes protein, and the imparting of mechanical energy. The longer you mix a batch of sausage, the more protein you extract. Fresh sausage is typically mixed 1 or 2 minutes, while smoked sausage is often mixed 5 to 7 minutes. I have a manual meat mixer, and crank the blasted thing until my arm falls off, about 3 minutes.

I have one question. What do you mean by “Mix to light-med protein extraction else crumbly.”
When you mix sausage, you are actually trying to extract myosin protein so it all binds together in a sausage texture. For smoked sausage it is like 6 minutes in a machine 10 min or more by hand. I've seen some folks say to just mix the spices in... that leaves your sausage loose and crumbly when you cook it, not a sausage texture. For fresh sausage like brats or breakfast stuff, some folks like less protein extraction. I don't think it has right texture without some.
Mix just until a clump sticks to the palm of your hand when turned upside down.

Reactions: floridasteve
I found this on another website, it doesn't have nutmeg and has coriander

Before he became America's sausage king, Jimmy Dean was known for crooning the country hit "Big Bad John." That song came out in 1962 and sold over 8 million copies . His singing success launched a television career on ABC with "The Jimmy Dean Show" where Roy Clark, Patsy Cline and Roger Miller got their big breaks. The TV exposure led to acting roles for Jimmy, as a regular on "Daniel Boone" and in feature films including his debut in the James Bond flick "Diamonds are Forever." Knowing that a show business career is an unpredictable one, Jimmy socked his money away in hog-farming investments. In 1968, the Jimmy Dean Meat Company developed a special recipe to transform those piggies into the sausage that is now a household name.

16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon coriander
¼ teaspoon MSG, such as Accent flavor enhancer

Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown.

I had seen old black and white videos of Roy Clark on the Jimmy Dean show and obviously knew about the sausage. But until you posted that I had no idea they were the same Jimmy Dean.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Funny story. Back when I was in the portable building business in Nashville, a Jimmy Dean factory down the road wanted a building we sold. I went there to see the site, and in the office was a picture of you know who. I was like, "Hey, I know who he is". I never thought to put the two together. I went home and called my Mom about it. "Well yea that's the same Jimmy Dean. You didn't know that?" It took me a while to live that one down.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Not until I read about it. Not really an old country music fan. More of a classic rock guy.

There are lots of Jimmy Dean TV show clips on YouTube. It really amazed me just how talented he was. One clip he had the Elemy Brothers on, and they sang one of their hits, with Jimmy adding the third horomy. It was great!

I made a 1# batch last night.
Followed the base instructions pretty close except for a few hiccups.
Meat grinder at home so I had to use 75/25 store ground.
Definitely need the 35% fat in a coarser grind.
Didn't have any nutmeg so used a touch more Mace as substitute. very good.
Couldn't find the dried ginger so I added 3x fresh grated.
(Stop to bandage knuckle after grazing the micro plane.)
Upped the red pepper by 50%
Only used 5% water as the finer store grind gave me a very fast and tacky protein extraction.
Here's the biggest change. I used 0.5% salt (no MSG either)

Wife likes it. She requested more sage in the next batch.
"Next" makes it a winner.

Thanks Dave.

Only used 5% water as the finer store grind gave me a very fast and tacky protein extraction.

Thanks Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Thx, Im glad you

Thanks Dave.

Thx

Thanks Dave.
Glad you enjoyed! I recently was down to an actual nutmeg, and scraped my knuckles grating that thing too! And also ended up using part mace, for decent results ;)

I plan on making this for sure. What purpose does the ice water serve?
Like Kieth says above. I like a bit of water because it lets me quickly and evenly spread spices when premixed into water, so I don't have to mix too long and over-extract. The water also lets me get a decent amount of protein extraction for that sausage texture, quickly, angain without too much mixing. If you mix too long, I find you get your fat smeared all up, and it cooks out instead of staying bound.

Lastly, adding water lightens up the texture, giving a more "fluffy" feeling. Without water, I just felt the sausage was too dense in the mouth. So I added a bit of water to get right mouthfeel.

Indaswamp is correct on the usfda fresh sausage water additions, and I assume JD is thus 3%, but when I made it that way it was just too dense for me. You can easily just reduce or remove water without much issue and see how you like it.

Reactions: jcam222
Dave, really appreciate your efforts to perfect this recipe. Like you, I enjoy trying to decipher sausage recipes, with many failed attempts. My NJ Pork Roll recipe on the Len Poli website took quite some time to develop. Again, thanks and I'll be trying your recipe real soon.
Thx! I have some threads here or at meatgistics on deciphering and replicating the Taylor Pork Roll. I went at it starting from the ingredients labels on 5 different pork rolls, plus a few tasting videos, and eating it myself for flavors. Dont think I've been to len poli site, though I do see it referenced. But I did see your recipe from there referenced here a few times. I make a lot of bacon, and also do fermented sausage, so I didn't want to add bacon to mine, and also wanted to ferment for lactic tang. After a few batches and testing encapsulated LACTIC acid as well as ECA, and chatting with DougE DougE Here, I tried your recipe also, adding bacon but no port (think you modded it to that later), and I quite enjoyed it! At this point, I'm finding I like a pork roll with added smoked bacon, ELA instead of ferment, just sous vide but no smoke, and a few added bologna type spices (coriander, mace, wh pepper, bl pepper, paprika, smoke hickory powder). I know it's heretical, but I've deviated away from Taylor's lol. Your version is very good and fast, and well within the hoop of what I now like better ;) Thx again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky