Jimmy Dean Cabbage Rolls... My new GO-TO meat..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
For a quick meat, it's already seasoned and the flavor is good..

I was stuck on what to stuff in the cabbage leaves.. Well, there's a 3# log of JD sausage in the refer...

Mixed up the meat with the usual.. Egg, rice (Zatarains), diced onions and garlic and rolled 'em up... The head of cabbage had been in the steamer pot for an hour or so and the leaves peeled and rolled easily..... Onions, salt, pepper, and a mix of spices in the cupboard for the sauce...Chopped up onions and the left over cabbage leaves lined the covered casserole dish... V8 juice, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes filled up the voids... And some dashes of things like Worcester etc...
Baked at 350 until the stuff got to about ~200 then turned the oven down to 225 for an additional hour or so.. Turned the oven off and let stuff sit in the warm oven until supper....
It's a keeper...

JD cabbage rolls.JPG

That looks awesome!! I love stuffed cabbage. Growing up in the 'burbs of Detroit there was no shortage of ethnic variations. Galumpkis is just one of many names tossed about. My mom made killer cabbage rolls, and she would make huge batches when I was home on leave. She'd freeze them and I'd ride them back to Maryland and later Virginia in a cooler. It's time to make some.

Reactions: daveomak
Looks fantastic Dave!! I’ve always loved cabbage rolls. I’ll bet the sausage turns them up a notch or three!

Wow Dave, I am loving that. Anything wrapped in cabbage gets 5 stars in my book and those look excellent. Thanks for sharing...yet another idea to put on my to-do list.

Robert

Good looking cabage rolls Dave !.. I made a batch newyears on a bed of krout.... Worchestishire is a must for me in the tomatoe sauce/ juice mix. I know those had to hit the spot!!

I like the looks of that Dave, very nice. Growing up, my parents made something similar using hamburger, but I remember it being bland tasting. The sausage would definitely change that...

Those look delicious Dave!
We haven’t had them in a while, and I’m thinking that we will have to make some this week!
Thanks for reminding me how good they are!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky