Jerky Soup

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by disco, Oct 8, 2014.

1. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am continuing to stock up on soup for the fall and winter.

Earlier, I made Sausage Soup with homemade fresh garlic sausage, chicken stock and vegetables I grew in my garden.

I felt like some beef soup as well.

When I used to do a lot of hiking, I would make a soup by mixing jerky and dehydrated vegetables in water and then heating them up for soup at dinner. The jerky cooks out with a great texture and makes a great broth, so I decided to try to make a version for the freezer.

I started by tearing up jerky until I had 2 cups. Then I chopped 1 1/2 cup onions, a tablespoon of garlic and 1/3 cup green chili peppers (from my garden). I also cut up 1/4 cup of end pieces from my back (Canadian) Bacon.

I cooked the onions in vegetable oil over medium high heat just until they started to wilt. I added the bacon, peppers and garlic and stirred until the bottom of the pot started to get coated.

I added 3 cups of beef broth,, 3 cups of water, the jerky and 2 cups of frozen diced tomatoes (from my garden).

I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for 1 hour. Then I broke up spaghetti into 1 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup) and added that to the soup. I put in 1 1/2 cups chopped green beans (from my garden) and 2 teaspoons chili sauce. I simmered for another 30 minutes.

This is a great hearty soup. Almost stew like but the liquid isn't thickened. The jerky had the great texture I remember from my hikes. You'll note there is no salt added as there is a lot of salt in the jerky so the soup definitely has a salt overtone but it only reinforces the jerky flavour of the soup!

Disco

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Ha! I think I've made that out of desperation before while on the trail!

3. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

See Disco it's post like this that make you the MAN!! Awesome looking soup!

4. java

java Smoking Fanatic

Going camping with swmbo this weekend, going to try jerky soup!

Thanks Disco.

5. disco

Sorry, Case. I have seen your posts. Your desperation is most peoples aspiration.
    Thanks, Brooksy. You have to love soup.
    Have fun, Sir!

6. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow. Thanks for all the soup threads.

Its getting colder.

We had ham n cheese soup tonight.

7. disco

Drat! I thought I had finished with soup for a while but I make a ham, potato and cheese soup and now I want some!

You have to love soup this time of year.

Disco

8. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yup. Mine had taters in too.

9. disco

You're killing me. I love that soup!

10. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great Disco, but I don't think I could do that to my Jerky(If I would have any left anyways LOL) I liked your sausage soup you did the other day 

Great Job!!

DS

11. disco

Thanks, DS. I know what you mean about not using jerky in soup but sometimes you have to use great ingredients to make a dish!

Disco

12. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes sir you do. [​IMG]

13. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That sounds awesome!

14. disco

I am blushing but it is very good.

Disco