Jerky recipes and soy sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hazer67

Original poster
Aug 10, 2021
I've been working on developing several different jerky recipes and not all of them use soy sauce. How many of you who make your own marinades use soy sauce instead of salt or salt instead of soy sauce. This is more of a survey question not looking for any recipes. Thanks!

I do my Jerk chicken via a recipe that I got from a vendor selling Jerk Chicken on the beach in Jamaica, talked him into his recipe after eating his Jerk Chicken for 5 days straight. It does use 4TBS of soy sauce. Let me know if you want the recipe.

- Jason

I do my Jerk chicken via a recipe that I got from a vendor selling Jerk Chicken on the beach in Jamaica, talked him into his recipe after eating his Jerk Chicken for 5 days straight. It does use 4TBS of soy sauce. Let me know if you want the recipe.

- Jason
Jerk chicken jerky?? Or jerk chicken?

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I'm not a fan of either soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for jerky. My marinade has a liquid (water, whiskey, etc), a little sweet vinegar (rice wine or balsamic), a little BBQ sauce, and the appropriate amount of cure #1. After the soak and just before the drying, I lightly sprinkle with a rub of choice to give it a light saltiness. Sometimes I sprinkle with black pepper, too. I've used homemade ranch rubs, BBQ Chip rubs, and garlic salt rubs. I'll often use two or three different rubs depending how large a batch I'm making.

Gotta make another batch this week.

Edit: I also add an unseasoned meat tenderizer to my marinade. It has a salt base but less than an equal amount of salt.

Or, I'll use a portion of a fresh pineapple, nature's powerful meat tenderizer. I do have a fresh pineapple to cut up and use for this next batch. I'm planning on using 6 lbs of meat. I'll blend 1/4 of the pineapple, skin, core, and all.

Last edited:
No Soy Sauce
You achieve Umami without it.

I dont think Soy Sauce was around when the Maroons BBQ their Wild Boar over Pimento wood.

I have used soy sauce in the past but chose to omit it.
Salt and the other ingredients are enough to get that flavor.

The oils from the various spices and vegetables more than enough cover what Soy Sauce gives you. Its a Fermentation flavor.

Jerky recipes are an exercise in recipe evolution. I have a spreadsheet that uses the label amounts per one pound of meat. Another column uses a multiplier based on the total weight of meat to be used.

My marinade now is cure #1, Sodium erythorbate (cure accelerator), meat tenderizer, one or two flavor elements (BBQ sauce, molasses, maple syrup, Better than Bouillon beef, etc), and just enough water so the ingredients will dissolve in a blender. No vinegar, whiskey, soy sauce, or Worcestershire sauce.

After a 24-48 hour marinade, I pat dry, then add more flavor elements. I've sprayed with nothing, whiskey, or vinegar, then dusted with my desired rub. The meat is then dried in my oven, WSM, or Kettle. The oven is the easiest. The Kettle for small amounts.

I aim for a 50-55% reduction in weight. The final product is tender, lightly salted, with a subtle flavor, WAAAY less than store-bought. The beef flavor is still evident, complemented by the marinade.

I cut down on soy sauce by adding fish sauce. Gives a great umami.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky