1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jerky process and colour

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by rob g, Mar 10, 2019.

1. rob g

rob g Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

I got 17lb of meat into the marinade yesterday so I could dehydrate today. I split it into 3 flavor batches. My process was as follows:
    - trim inside round of visible fat
    - partial freeze and then thru the meat slicer for 1/4" slices (with and across grain depending on piece of meat)
    - mix the marinade to suit the bag size (1× 5lb, 2× 3lb, 2× 3lb) including cure#1
    - dip each individual piece of meat into the marinade before dropping into bag
    - dump remainder of marinade into the ziplock bag and seal after removing all possible air
    - bags went into garage fridge to sit 18-24 hours with a squeeze and a flip after 9 hours
    - this morning I brought 11lb out and drained off the marinade
    - placed each piece on to a paper towel and squeezed the layer with top paper towel to remove excess moisture before placing on to the dehydrator trays
    - in to the dehydrator at 160F until done, likely about 4-5 hours

Question:
    - Some of the slices of meat coming out of the marinade have a lot more red than other areas of the slice. Is this normal? Should I have done something differently? IMG_20190310_084206_2.jpg

2. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic

Yes it happens,what kind of cure did you use?

3. rob g

It was cure #1 from the sausage maker at 1.1g/lb.

4. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Its from the meats touching one another and marinade no touching that surface. The darker areas are where meat was exposed to the marinade and oxidized.

I like to mix the marinade and meats in a stock pot that way I can make sure all the meats get coated + I don't have to rely on a zip top bag staying sealed.

5. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Also what sort of scale did you use to measure? Some are more accurate than others. I highly recommend a gram scale that has 0.01 (1/100th) of a gram resolution. There are several on Amazon for $20-25 range.

Other scales can be off by 2 or 3 grams and that can make a huge difference. I know you said you did 17 pounds, but if you measured the cure for the smaller bagged amounts and the scale as a +/- of a couple of grams, that matters.

Case in point is my bulk meat scale. It will do grams. but the accuracy range on grams is 0.1 ounce in the 0 to 2 pound range. 0.1 ounce is 2.83 grams. So trying to measure 3.3 grams (for a 3 pound batch of meat) on a scale with a +/- range of 2.83 grams is dang near impossible. That is why I have a 1/100th of a gram scale for measuring cure and spices (along with a calibration weight to verify accuracy).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. rob g

I bought a Triton scale when I started getting into making bacon for measuring the cure #1. I'd rather be safe than sorry.