Jerky from sticks spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobrap

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 9, 2012
Estill Springs, TN
Probably a dumb question, but, has anyone used stick seasonings to make jerky? I usually use ground venison and I've heard some good things about Owens 7 pepper stick seasoning. Thought I'd to give that a try. When drinking a few adult bevvies, sometimes the "Bob, any chance of some more heat next time?" comes up. Any thoughts are appreciated. Btw, before someone asks why I don't make sticks...well, my last three attempts were total disasters. LOL.

Probably a dumb question, but, has anyone used stick seasonings to make jerky? I usually use ground venison and I've heard some good things about Owens 7 pepper stick seasoning. Thought I'd to give that a try. When drinking a few adult bevvies, sometimes the "Bob, any chance of some more heat next time?" comes up. Any thoughts are appreciated. Btw, before someone asks why I don't make sticks...well, my last three attempts were total disasters. LOL.

Bob I have had the 7 Pepper Sticks and all I can say
I hope my PM with my address got thru
Do It
Richie

I have done it a few times but not from Owens. we Can't get it up here. There are a few kits we use to use for our jerky Hi mountain and from cabelas as well. we also have done sausage from jerky kits that have turned out great as well.

I don't think I've every done a "fry test" with jerky, but I do it with ground meat sausage and meat for snack sticks all the time.

I kick mine up a notch with some Cyan pepper powder, and some smoked Paprika. Gives a nice burn in the back of the throat. :eek:
I think I like 1/2 tsp of Cyan, and 1/4 tsp of the smoked Paprika, per pound of meat.
Strip, or Ground Beef.
If you want more heat, just double measure.
Puts some pow in the Jerky.

And tell your friends to bring more beer, you're going to need it.:D

We always do a fry test with our sausage, and yeah they were good. Mixed some kits together some by themselves. They can be kicked up with extras as well.

I do this with LEM's Original Snack Stick seasoning to make my Italian Cacciatore Jerky from 100% ground venison (no fat added). They come out awesome and the tang of the wine that is used to make it puts things over the top!

I don't think I've actually done a fry test on mixed ground jerky BUT it is something I would totally do when trying a new mix or a recipe off the internet. You just don't know what you have until you test it and you don't want to have something too salty and find out after you spent all the time to smoke it up and eat it.

I think you are good to go with the snack stick seasoning as well as the fry test. Let us know how things turn out! :)

I do this with LEM's Original Snack Stick seasoning to make my Italian Cacciatore Jerky from 100% ground venison (no fat added). They come out awesome and the tang of the wine that is used to make it puts things over the top!

I don't think I've actually done a fry test on mixed ground jerky BUT it is something I would totally do when trying a new mix or a recipe off the internet. You just don't know what you have until you test it and you don't want to have something too salty and find out after you spent all the time to smoke it up and eat it.

I think you are good to go with the snack stick seasoning as well as the fry test. Let us know how things turn out! :)

Thanks, I'll do that.

Finally got around to doing the jerky with the seven pepper mix from Owens. Came out great and everyone keeps asking when I'm going to make more. Gonna run out of venison too soon at this rate!

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE and mossymo
Finally got around to doing the jerky with the seven pepper mix from Owens. Came out great and everyone keeps asking when I'm going to make more. Gonna run out of venison too soon at this rate!

Yeah that is a conundrum. I keep a lot of pure ground venison to replace my ground beef needs but it also allows me to make ground meat jerky which is softer on the teeth and just as good for the compromise.

I also take about 5-6 deer a year from a MLD property in TX so we use their tags. It really helps get me the meat I want but I still never have enough for everything I want to do lol.

I don't hunt, but, I have a friend who gives me about 4 venison hams and some ducks and geese during hunting season. When it's gone...hope it repeats next season. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky