• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jeff's Rib Rub on a Butt

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
i'm going to be smoking a boston butt this weekend and i wanted to try out jeff's rub recipe for the first time on it.  but my question is, it's a large amount of brown sugar....will this burn over the course of a 12 hour smoke?

does anyone use this for a rub before smoking for a long time?

porkaholic

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 20, 2009
I have used Jeff's rub on pork butts and it works just fine.  I smoke them on my UDS so the meat is a long way away from the coals.  By the way, the rub is great on the butts and his sauce is a fine compliment to the meat, if you dare put sauce on it at all.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 20, 2010
Haven’t used it on a butt (can’t do pork and it’s killing me), but I have used it on briskets and chuck clods without an issue.

Jeff"s sauce is great served on the side for those who like to use sauce.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 24, 2007
I use it on butt's all the time with great results. I do swap the brown sugar with turbinado sugar when making the rub though. It has a higher burning point than brown sugar.

Last edited:

dougmays

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Nov 18, 2010
thanks for the info...big taste difference between Turbo and Brown sugar? never used turbo before?

its usually pretty this grains correct? do i need to run it through a spice grinder?

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 24, 2007
thanks for the info...big taste difference between Turbo and Brown sugar? never used turbo before?

its usually pretty this grains correct? do i need to run it through a spice grinder?
I don't notice a taste difference in the end product and I use it just as it comes out of the box, no grinding.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.