Jeff's "Lots of Butter" Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mthomsen224

Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
Phoenix AZ
So I'm doing the "Lots of Butter" Method on my turkey on Sunday. Reading the recipe and the directions has me a little confused. Do I strain all the little leaves and bits out after boiling everything? The directions don't really say clearly, unless I'm missing it. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first turkey by the way. I'm hoping this turns out better then the whole chicken I did last year. I'm not sure if it was the rub, the wood or just overall my poor process.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/november-10-2016-smoked-thanksgiving-turkey-lots-of-butter-method

Based on this instruction for people who procrastinated:

"If you procrastinated, don’t worry.. I have your back. Simply pour the hot brine through a sieve into a gallon sized pitcher. Add about a quart of ice and stir the ice and brine mixture to cool it down."

I would think you are supposed to strain the brine before you set it in the refrigerator for the overnight cool down and before you put the turkey in the brine.

But to be honest, I doubt that it would make much of a difference.  What harm could be done by putting a turkey in a brine that contains the herbs, especially since you have to rinse the turkey at the end of the brine process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky