Jealous Devil Smoking Blocks??? Now with Pictures...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
I was wandering around the Home Depot near me and they now have a selection of Jealous Devil charcoal and they had boxes of there smoking blocks. Hickory, Cherry.... The look like cut up 2x4's, very clean looking and the hickory was only about $8.00 for an $8 lb box. They also had whiskey barrel. IMG_5020.JPG

Almost grabbed one or two of each, just because but I was curious if anyone here has seen or used them??? Sometimes you just have to buy something BBQ related......

They look like uniform chunks. I'd give them a try.

Chris

I saw them last week but all they had left was one box of cherry. $8. Seemed like a good price. I opened the box up to take a peek and you're right, they are very squared - all the cuts are at perfect right angles. The sizes weren't all the same, but they fit into the box like puzzle pieces. Kinda weird. Bought the one box. Haven't tried it yet. Should be fine.

I saw them last week but all they had left was one box of cherry. $8. Seemed like a good price. I opened the box up to take a peek and you're right, they are very squared - all the cuts are at perfect right angles. The sizes weren't all the same, but they fit into the box like puzzle pieces. Kinda weird. Bought the one box. Haven't tried it yet. Should be fine.
Cherry wood is excellent for spare ribs. It gives them a wicked color and mild flavor.

Chris

Yellow price tags.. they are on clearance to make some space in that bay and more than likely not coming back. I would give them a shot. Maybe have to swing by HD tomorrow.

Does the fact that they are kiln dried mean anything smoke wise?
I've heard people say the best aged wood is naturally aged meaning it ages on the tree before it is harvested. Second best is letting it age in a shed somewhere. Something about more sugar in it. OTOH, Jirby says he uses kiln dried wood exclusively over there at Goldee's. Jirby is an expert at contradicting every BBQ rule in Texas and yet somehow he is #1. Go figure.

I saw the charcoal & bought a bag.
I used it last night to start a coal bed for the Santa Maria Rotisserie.
I swear there were some chunks of lump that were like small splits.
This stuff burned forever. I will buy again for sure!
Al

Reactions: Marknmd and babydoc
So I went back to HD and got a couple of boxes of Hickory and Cherry. Here is what I found:
Here is the box of Cherry with all the pieces laid out. Not bad for $8 I thought.
IMG_5023.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG

Now I am not the best at identifying wood, but I saw other reviews that said the Cherry looked a little suspect. Here is a close up of the Cherry from the box:
IMG_5024.JPG

Doesn't look like Cherry to me so I had a couple chunks of Cherry from the normal place I go get smoking woods and put them side by side:
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5026.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG

The Cherry I have has a nice red tinge to it, and very different grain. I think the Jealous Devil wood is white oak???? Do you see oak too?

So I opened one of the Hickory boxes and put two pieces of the Hickory in front of the pieces of Cherry.....
IMG_5029.JPG

They look the same to me... Hickory in front, Cherry in back.... Both look like Oak.

I have not smoked with them yet, and I like Oak too, but they do not look like what is advertised. I think I need to e-mail them and ask.

Mark

I think it's kind of hard to tell because of the way it is cut. It's sawed smooth as a baby's bottom - no real texture which might be helpful in exhibiting color. The other thing is, JD has an excellent rep and it wouldn't be like them to swap out one wood for another whether it be by accident or on purpose. But I guess it's possible. Please let us know what they say if you email them. Thanks

Will Do. As I said, I am not the best at identifying wood and I could be wrong, but I did want to show everyone what is in the box. I am sure there are others who can easily ID different wood varieties.

I am not upset as I was out of Oak, if indeed it is Oak.

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky