• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

JC's BBQ Chili

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018

I made a batch of chili yesterday that is worthy of a written recipe. So here goes.

JC's BBQ Chili

This is the mild version. Feel free to bring the heat if you want. Substitute the jalapeno with habanero, Carolina Reaper, or ghost peppers for some fire.

1 medium onion diced
2 poblano peppers diced
1 jalapeno pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2T lard

2T Paprika
2T chili powder
1T cumin
2t salt or to taste

1 - 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 c beef broth

8 oz chopped pulled pork
8 oz chopped brisket
1 - 28 oz can of black beans (Use whatever beans you like.)

Black pepper to taste

Sautee onions in lard until softened, add peppers and sauté until peppers are softened. Add garlic and sweat for about 1 minute.
Add spices and bloom for about 45 seconds. Add tomatoes and beef broth and deglaze pan.

Add meat and beans. Bring to low simmer for 30 minutes. Add black pepper last 5 minutes of simmering.

Serve over pasta if you wish. I like using cut pieces of spaghetti.

Hope you all enjoy this recipe.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
That sounds delicious! I’ll give this a try when the weather cools down. Thanks for sharing.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Recipe sounds great. What no photos did you really make it?

Warren

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have a great chili recipe, but will try yours to see if I like it better, thanks for posting it!
Al

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 16, 2019
Sounds good. Just cooked up a couple of strip loins this weekend for a family get together. I have about 5# left over. Planning on making a big ole pot of chili. This is in the running.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Sounds good!! Let’s see those pics

DRKsmoking

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
batch of chili yesterday
That sounds good JC, I make chili quite often , easy and that way I have a couple days meals ... as long as I stop picking at it.
Chili and some nice fresh baked rolls. yes.

Also JC when you have the time, I had mentioned that I would like your Potato Sausage recipe if you are willing to pass it along. When you have time

Thanks
David

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe. I've copied it and given to Mrs. Wurtz for her to make for our next chili batch. I'll sneak some from the Mrs. and make some tater tot nachos.🍻
John

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
The Recipe sounds good! I love Black Beans in Chili but the family are not bean fans. A TIP for anyone in the same boat...An hour in to the cook, I ladle out 2 Cups of the Tasty Sauce, and Grease (Don't tell my Wife.😆), and mix with drained canned Beans. Let that simmer a bit, then I just add Beans to my bowl...JJ

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
That sounds good JC, I make chili quite often , easy and that way I have a couple days meals ... as long as I stop picking at it.
Chili and some nice fresh baked rolls. yes.

Also JC when you have the time, I had mentioned that I would like your Potato Sausage recipe if you are willing to pass it along. When you have time

Thanks
David

Swedish Potato Sausage - Nelson family recipe
This recipe is over 150 years old and still simple and delicious

This recipe is for 1 kg of pork. Multiply the recipe by your kg of meat.

1 kg pork shoulder or cushion
400 g peeled potatoes
300 g onion
28 g salt
10 g coarse ground black pepper
Natural casings, hog or beef work. I prefer hog casings.

Grind pork with fine grind plate. Grind potatoes and onions together with medium grind plate. Drain excess liquid from potatoes and onions. Doesn't have to be dry just not soupy. Add salt, pepper, and vegetable mix to pork and mix well.

Stuff into casings. I tie the casing ends and link the rest of the sausages.

Place sausages into a hot water bath. Barely simmering. Move sausages around and prick holes in the casing where any air bubbles appear. Simmer for 20 minutes, cool then wrap and freeze. I reheat by placing frozen sausages in a pot of water then slowly bring them up to temp. I also prefer to remove the casing from the sausage before I eat them, These are great breakfast sausages. I cut the links about 15 minutes into cooking once the meat has cooked. Enjoy.

DRKsmoking

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
Swedish Potato Sausage - Nelson family recipe
This recipe is over 150 years old and still simple and delicious

This recipe is for 1 kg of pork. Multiply the recipe by your kg of meat.

1 kg pork shoulder or cushion
400 g peeled potatoes
300 g onion
28 g salt
10 g coarse ground black pepper
Natural casings, hog or beef work. I prefer hog casings.

Grind pork with fine grind plate. Grind potatoes and onions together with medium grind plate. Drain excess liquid from potatoes and onions. Doesn't have to be dry just not soupy. Add salt, pepper, and vegetable mix to pork and mix well.

Stuff into casings. I tie the casing ends and link the rest of the sausages.

Place sausages into a hot water bath. Barely simmering. Move sausages around and prick holes in the casing where any air bubbles appear. Simmer for 20 minutes, cool then wrap and freeze. I reheat by placing frozen sausages in a pot of water then slowly bring them up to temp. I also prefer to remove the casing from the sausage before I eat them, These are great breakfast sausages. I cut the links about 15 minutes into cooking once the meat has cooked. Enjoy.

Thank you very much JC,

Looks good , Printing it off now. Have you ever fried these after they have been frozen

again thanks for the recipe

David

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like JC in GB it is appreciated.

Nice looking bowl of vittles.

Warren

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Thank you very much JC,

Looks good , Printing it off now. Have you ever fried these after they have been frozen

again thanks for the recipe

David
I don't fry them myself but I know a few who like them that way.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.