Jalapeno sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Just did a batch of sticks with my "go to" seasoning. My post isn't as nice as the one Winter Rider just posted, sorry ! I weighed out seasoning for 5 pounds of pork butt and used PS speed cure :
IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

Mixed well and let it sit in the fridge for a day to meld the flavors:
IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

I stuffed in 23 mm collagen casings and put in the smoker for about 7 and a half hours using cherry and hickory chips .The usual 110 *, no smoke dampers open and then bump temps to 170 routine. Not checking temp but looking at shrinkage to know when to remove from the smoker. Hung in the cool cellar for a few hours to cool before heading to the fridge.
IMG_1110.JPG

I then left in a paper bag in the fridge for a day to dry(thanks for the tip Rick) and cut and packaged. Nice seasoning mix with moderate heat but not too hot. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

Last edited:
Just did a batch of sticks with my "go to" seasoning. My post isn't as nice as the one Winter Rider just posted, sorry ! I weighed out seasoning for 5 pounds of pork butt and used PS speed cure :
View attachment 485162
View attachment 485163
Mixed well and let it sit in the fridge for a day to meld the flavors:
View attachment 485164
View attachment 485165
I stuffed in 23 mm collagen casings and put in the smoker for about 7 and a half hours using cherry and hickory chips .The usual 110 *, no smoke dampers open and then bump temps to 170 routine. Not checking temp but looking at shrinkage to know when to remove from the smoker. Hung in the cool cellar for a few hours to cool before heading to the fridge.
View attachment 485166
I then left in a paper bag in the fridge for a day to dry(thanks for the tip Rick) and cut and packaged. Nice seasoning mix with moderate heat but not too hot. Thanks for looking ! CM
Those are just awesome! Look delicious!

Great looking sticks. I like PS seasonings for several of their products.
Question for you.....after putting in the fridge after mixing for a day, is it hard to stuff in the small casings? Thanks

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great to me! I also use the paper bag trick in fridge for a day...know I learned it here.

Ryan

Great looking sticks. I like PS seasonings for several of their products.
Question for you.....after putting in the fridge after mixing for a day, is it hard to stuff in the small casings? Thanks
WIS, I have to add more water and mix right before stuffing or my stuffer would explode, takes longer in the smoker to dry but it is worth it !
Looks good to me! Are the sticks dry enough to be considered shelf stable? Or do you need to refrigerate them?
IDS, I leave in the fridge and don't believe they would be shelf stable? I just like a drier stick to gnaw.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
Good looking sticks CM! I like the jalapeños in them too. Need to make another batch.

Very nicely done and congrats on the ride!

Those look great to me. Winter Riders did look very good. Cannot taste the look though, lol. These look tasty and looks like good flavor on em. Kinda like shooting a buck vs doe, ya can't eat the horns! Never tried the paper bag trick, unless it involved beer or women! 🤦‍♂️ Love the little vac packs to just throw on the dash fishing or backpack hunting. Looks like a solid cook to me sir!

Those look great to me. Winter Riders did look very good. Cannot taste the look though, lol. These look tasty and looks like good flavor on em. Kinda like shooting a buck vs doe, ya can't eat the horns! Never tried the paper bag trick, unless it involved beer or women! 🤦‍♂️ Love the little vac packs to just throw on the dash fishing or backpack hunting. Looks like a solid cook to me sir!

That's a different paper bag, usually only used late at night.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky