Jalapeno slim jims

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Made up another batch of jalapeno slim jims for the upcoming hunting season. Used PS seasoning and pork butt ground once through a 1/4 inch platestuffed into 23mm collagen casings:
IMG_0006.JPG

Smoked with hickory chips after an initial open dampers drying of 1.5 hours at 115*. I bumped up the temps slowly and until the smoker hit 165*. left in the smoker for about 7 hours with a 2.5 hours of smoke.:
IMG_0023.JPG

I left them in the fridge for the overnight in a paper bag to dry and then cut and vac sealed:
IMG_0024.JPG

Thanks for looking ! CM

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! Beautiful color and I see they dried nicely... I never though you can smoke sausage using cellulose casing because cellulose casing is least penetrable for smoke .... Did you peeled it off?

Reactions: crazymoon
PS seasoning?

I know you know what I mean, but did they have that slightly greasy Slim Jim bite or a less fatty meatier bite? Why not post the recipe I'm intrigued now.

Man they look good .. hard to beat a good snack stick..

I've not seen/used cellulose casings before... looking at them on your stuffer tube they look just like collagen... So cellulose comes all scrunched up like collagen ??

I must apologize to all for stating they were cellulose (I only use those for hot dogs). It was a long day and I had a wee bit of single malt before typing my post. The casings are collagen and I am sorry for the confusion! I need to be beat with a wet noodle for my error !:emoji_blush: I have edited the original post to prevent any further confusion.

Last edited:
PS seasoning?

I know you know what I mean, but did they have that slightly greasy Slim Jim bite or a less fatty meatier bite? Why not post the recipe I'm intrigued now.
TE,It is a PS seasoning mix # 484 and I really trim down the fat from the pork butt to make a lean stick. That mix is my go to for snack sticks,probably made up 75 pounds plus using this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky