Jalapeno Cheese Smoked Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjrokkett

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Arvada, CO.
Here is the recipe for my Jalapeno Cheese Smoked Summer Sausage:

10 lb. batch:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
7 lbs. lean beef
3 lbs. pork
2 tsp. #1 cure
5 Tbsp. salt
5 tsp. ground mustard seed
5 tsp. course ground pepper
4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. coriander - I like an extra tsp. myself
4 Tbsp. powdered dextrose
4 Tbsp. corn syrup solids
1 Cup soy protein concentrate
2 Cups high temp cheddar cheese
2 Cups chopped jalapeno's (deseeded unless you like it hot)
1 Cup red wine (a merlot or red zinfandel)
2-3 Cups cold water

(I actually used 55 beef /45 pork mix on this one) -(I was also a little short on jalapeno's - used them for some ABT's - only had about 1-1/4 cup for this batch so I added some chili crush) My pork shoulders are not typically this much marbled so this might turn out a little fatty.

Here are a few pic's...

Got 45 lbs. of pork shoulder from Costco for grinding

If you want to cut yourself some pork steaks or want to make some buckboard bacon now is the time to cut off what you want...

Grinding....45 lbs. took awhile in my small grinder.

I chose 1-1/2" x 20" fibrous casings from Butcher Packer. These smoke really well and they're pre pricked.

I highly recommend a spice grinder - there is no comparison on fresh ground spices....some of my spices are pre ground but you can really tell a difference with pepper, coriander, mustard, etc. Make sure you get a stainless bowl on your grinder so the spices don't leach into plastic. These are about $15...and you can buy bulk spices.

A few basic sausage ingredients...

Here are all the ingredients mixed together.

And mixed into the meat and adding the cheese...looks like a fine mess! I get my high temp. cheese from Butcher Packer.

Soaking the casings....I use a little liquid smoke for this - gives the sausage some more anti bacterial properties.

I mix and stuff the same day and let the logs sit in fridge for a day or so...The red wine really comes out after a day. It's coming together...you know it's mixed correctly when you can't feel your hand and your arm is sore.

I pan fry a couple patties for a taste test...excellent. Now is the time to make it the way you like it...add more ingredients per your taste buds.

Stuffer loaded and ready ... you've been working hard - time for a beverage!

First log coming off stuffer....stuff 'em tight!

Getting ready to tie the log...Kind of tough by yourself but I'm becoming a pro... Wouldn't mind a 3rd hand ....

All stuffed - 11 logs total about 1 to 1-1/4 lbs. each.

Into the smoker....smoking at 160-170 degrees

Time for a tough decision what to drink while it's smoking...hmmmm!
icon_lol.gif

This is about at 127 degrees internal temp

Into an ice water bath to cool

And finally the finished product after blooming -- 20 hours in a BDS with a 6 hour bloom

Hopefully all these pic's came through ok. Thanks for checking this out.

Nicely done. I'm new to sausage making, having only done fresh- italian, bkfts, brats, and some chicken. I'm hoping to try summer sge this weekend. Great looking recipe and your point on grinding your own spices is right on. Nothing like it.

Thanks so much to everyone for the nice feedback. I'll post next time with bigger pic's.

MrsB --Come over anytime for some "testing".....

Great looking sausage and great photo essay on the project. I use hog rings instead of tying, just because it is easier with only two hands. I keep a ring ready, kind of preloaded in the plier, then hold my twist with one hand, and squeeze the ring on with the other.

Excellent looking summer sausage! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone - When I was starting out I liked to see any info I could on sausage so hopefully this whets someone's appetite.

Good idea - Do you have the manual or spring loaded model? Just wondering if its worth it to get the more expensive one?

It's mentioned in Rytek Kutas book " Great Sausage Recipes" under the casing section. It says it has a two fold purpose: 1) helps prevent surface mold 2) helps the casing peel off the meat. You can also use vinegar it says. I have never tried vinegar though - so I'm not sure how that works.

I just use el cheapo manual hog ring pliers that I got from the local farm store.. They are pretty stiff as they came, but you could peen the little pin that holds the jaws if you needed to to help hold the rings. I don't think it's worth it for the spring loaded type. I also open the rings up a bit to make them fit over the twisted end of casing. I usually prep a dozen or so before I start stuffing. FWIW vinegar does work pretty well for helping casing to release, I use it to soak my stockinette bags for turkeys too.

Thanks Gypc -I sure wish I was but it is good!

Thanks for the info mule - I'll have to get me a set and also try that vinegar.

Thanks for sharing the recipe JJRockkett, I made some SS with cheese using The Sausage Makers premix and although it was good I think it could be better. I'll give yours a try.

Glad to help - Let me know how it turns out! When I first started into making sausage I bought a lot of premixed stuff but found them a little weak (might be my taste buds) so I have alot left over that I still need to use up but found the best sausage I made was from my own mixes. I think the premixes are just hard to establish the percentages of each spice and make it the way you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky