Jalapeno & Cheddar deer summer sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by dewer, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Hey fellow smokers. I made 28# of summer sausage this weekend an thought id share the picture. Next time ill post more pics of the process. Thanks for looking.

2. robbieh

robbieh Fire Starter

Sounds good but wheres the pic?  Also, did you use a kit?  If not, share that recipe[​IMG]

3. Sorry I forgot to post the pic. Here ya go.

4. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

[​IMG]

5. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

a full smoker always looks good, great job - can't wait to see a sliced up pic.

6. Sausage is all cut up and packaged. Ready for the freezer. Time to sit back and enjoy an ice cold PBR. Thanks for looking and the comments.

7. rad-one

rad-one Fire Starter

Looks really nice can you share the details cooking temps,times ice baths? Thinking of making some and can use any advice

Thanks

8. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice looking summer sausage!

[​IMG]

9. I used a method that a local butcher supply store had on a recipe. Basically you start at 125° for an hour to dry the casings. The up to 135° 1/4 vent open for 1 1/2.Then 145° for an hour. Then increase temp 5° every 30-40 min until u reach internal temp of 155°. Take out and put in an ice bath. I do 10 min. Someone else on here might be able to tell you better how long. I don't know where I came up with 10 minutes I must've read it somewhere. Put in the frigerator for 2 days uncovered. Take out and enjoy. I started at 2:15pm and finished at 12 am. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. good luck let me know how it turns out.

10. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That is how I have been doing it also. I made summer sausage a few weeks ago and with 50lbs of sausage, my smoker did that all by itself just trying catch up. That weekend I started hot water bathing until 152 degrees and liked how it turned out.

11. rad-one

rad-one Fire Starter

Thanks guys I'm going to try this wknd will try to put up pics when done does anybody have pics ?

12. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Merciful heavens that looks outstanding!  Makes my mouth water! 

[​IMG]

13. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great - good job

14. rad-one

rad-one Fire Starter

I thought pork had to be 160 to be done ?

15. rad-one

rad-one Fire Starter

Mixed this up Saturday stuff in casings in the fridge going to smoke Wednesday

16. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

You did a good job...

17. I am a "newbie", but followed this thread because it said "deer".. I guess I must have missed a page or two, or else perhaps you are way more advanced and didn't explain/show some of the details??  Not really "details" just wondering what I am not seeing?  If it is "deer", I am interested in learning.  Have you done venison bacon?  I am still looking for the learning experience of that. 

18. golson

golson Fire Starter

Do you dry out the jalepenos in an oven before you mix with meat or just cut it up into little piecess and in the meat? I am making some tomorrow. Need advice...Thanks

19. lu1847

lu1847 Smoking Fanatic

Nice lookin summer dogs!! Great job.