I've made up my mind, but....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tanglefoot

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2012
PLAINVIEW MN
After the last couple of weeks being disgusted, frustrated, and downright disappointed with my mes30, I'm going the PID route, but I could use a little input from my SMF friends. I've spent some time looking at these online the last few days and (besides not knowing what the dickens I'm looking at) I'm not sure what to get. They range in price from around $40-$50 to north of $200. I don't have a problem putting out the $$$s for something I need, and I hate to go too cheap and get junk. But I just want to smoke meat. I don't need the dang thing to wax the car and walk the dog. I'd appreciate any input. (model #s, etc). Heck....I don't even have a dog.

This is the controller I any many others have added to the MES.

Hi .
The only thing a PID will do in my opinion is stop the radical temp swings inherent to a analog smoker.
The good thing is the meat does not care in most cases. I also use a Auber and can attest it holds the IT box temps to within a couple of degrees. The meat I smoked years ago was very comparable with today's smokes. The main difference is when I set it to 242 it stays there and I feel better. That tells me it is in my head. The PID will not make you a great pit master only practice will. After all that I will always use a good quality PID. No matter what, I like to know the box IT is at the set point I want. JTED

My MES30 has been pretty kind to me over the years when it comes to the temp swings.Compared to many others mine have not been too radical.Once it settles it holds temp well enough.

When the stock controller finally goes,and it will,I'll be stepping up to the Auber for sure,And then I'll probably be thinking to myself "why didn't I do this sooner!"

Reactions: chopsaw
I totally agree. I've been using that Auber PID for 6-8 months and it has made my life much better.
Complete confidence in the cook temps throughout. # weeks ago I did an 18 hour Brisket, and it maintained 240' throughout. Maybe 2-5' temp swings. Nothing compared to the MES stock controller which had 20-40' temp swings. Enjoy!

After the last couple of weeks being disgusted, frustrated, and downright disappointed with my mes30, I'm going the PID route, but I could use a little input from my SMF friends. I've spent some time looking at these online the last few days and (besides not knowing what the dickens I'm looking at) I'm not sure what to get. They range in price from around $40-$50 to north of $200. I don't have a problem putting out the $$$s for something I need, and I hate to go too cheap and get junk. But I just want to smoke meat. I don't need the dang thing to wax the car and walk the dog. I'd appreciate any input. (model #s, etc). Heck....I don't even have a dog.
Well here goes....The mes30 is rewired, the PID just arrived the other day, and I' got a hankerin' for some pulled pork. Mrs. Tanglefoot picked me up an 8 pounder today so I'll be on a mission tomorrow!! (why do I feel like it's Christmas eve???)

Congrats and enjoy, they are awesome. . .
Thanks Winter.
Fired it up this morning, and it keeps tripping the gfci. Tried 3 different circuits and still does it. The dang thing will heat for about 2-3 minutes and then trip again. Not sure what my next move should be. Dang frustrating.

Hmmmm, not sure. One of the pro's may chime in. I know these days it's not uncommon to get a goofy gfci but wouldn't know how to go about checking for that.

Edit: are you using extension cord into that outlet at all ? If so, short "heavy" may help?

Hmmmm, not sure. One of the pro's may chime in. I know these days it's not uncommon to get a goofy gfci but wouldn't know how to go about checking for that.

Edit: are you using extension cord into that outlet at all ? If so, short "heavy" may help?
Not on my "main" smoker outlet. It's 20amp dedicated outlet. and as for trying the other circuits, i used a 25' 14 ga cord.

Looks like you just did the re wire .
The suspect here is a leak to ground , by either moisture , bad element or something touching the case just enough to cause this .
Stay with the smoker , and plug the smoker into power . No Controller . See if it trips the GFCI , if not make sure it's heating . If it runs longer than it was , un plug it and we'll look for something else . If it trips , check the re wire job .
DON'T leave the smoker .

Looks like you just did the re wire .
The suspect here is a leak to ground , by either moisture , bad element or something touching the case just enough to cause this .
Stay with the smoker , and plug the smoker into power . No Controller . See if it trips the GFCI , if not make sure it's heating . If it runs longer than it was , un plug it and we'll look for something else . If it trips , check the re wire job .
DON'T leave the smoker .
Yup, tried that. Tripped after a couple minutes. It was heating.

Ok , re visit the wiring job just to make sure all is good .
Check your work , but also check the connections to the element in the back of the smoker .

Ok , re visit the wiring job just to make sure all is good .
Check your work , but also check the connections to the element in the back of the smoker .
Connections look and feel good. nothing bare touching the cabinet anywhere. I see there is what appears to be 2 ground wires. One green and one blue. Not sure what the deal is. Of course my entire knowledge of electricity consists of what I learned touching a fence wire.

I would say you need to check the resistance of the heating element . Should be around 18 ohms .
You'll need an ohm meter to do this .
if you weren't having this trouble before you did the re wire , I'd re trace your steps again , and look at everything you changed .
But you will need to check the element .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky