Iv'e gotta try this......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just watched that a little earlier today and I agree....man thats just AWESOME!

Hubba Hubba! Not much smoke ring, but I was hooked at dry aged cheesy flavor. I have some sheets on hand.

ok maybe it was just me.
1. I dislike a bark like that. Too much pepper and no other flavors.
2. That meat looks like mush and not juicy at all.

Even the wife was not into it.
Hope you guys who try it have good luck.

Dave, I've made two 60-day dry aged briskets, including one with the Sausagemaker wrap, and the other with an Umai bag. Both turned out great, and incredibly juicy. Much more so than the video guy's. And I agree with rbnice1; that was way too much black pepper, imo.

Mike, Thanks for the link to your brisket adventures... They are bk mrkd..

Really sounds like something I would like to try, but I probably should stick to improving my "standard" briskets without adding another variable. At least for a few more smokes.

I don't get it understand why one would dry age a nice piece of meat that already tastes wonderful fresh. I thought the meat was already dry aged when we buy it from a butcher or store.

most meat is only hung for up to 2 weeks if you get it butchered yourself. from a store im guessing 1 week max. fresh meat isnt really fresh for the most part and no meat bought from a store is dry aged.

Ok so how does dry aging enhance the flavor? Seems like you would stand a greater chance of poisoning. I just don't understand it. Sorry for my ignorance.

I saw that. The Brisket sounds great...JJ

dry aging if, done correctly wont ruin the meat. If allows moisture to leave the meat which concentrates the beefy flavor. Also the longer the meat is aging the more the enzymes break down the meat causing the meat to be more tender. It also imbues a aged flavor. Some people think its nutty or mushroomy. I prefer a short dry age less nutty/aged flavor but still a more tender meat. Its hard to describe untill you have it.

Reactions: joetee
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky