I've gone completely Dark...The Dark Side: WSM 18.5"...let the journey begin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd eat that thing barehanded. Like a watermelon.
drool.gif

Wow, I just ate & I could still find room for some of that ! Very nice !
icon14.gif
Thanks, brother!!! It's been a fun and interesting ride so far with WSM. No complaints...that damaged intake damper which now is preventing me from killing the coals was likely my own doing during the last few smokes...during handling for transport, I suspect. Should be a pretty easy fix, though. Looking forward to the next smoke!!!

Oh, speaking of the next smoke, which will be Monday 11-30-15...3.8lb bone-in rib eye from the small end of the whole 7-bone..out 1-1/2 bones present. Wife grabbed this with the beef loin...I'll smoke this one for a trial/practice for 2 separate Christmas dinners coming up. Like I need to practice on rib eyes...LOL!!! Well, OK, I need to practice on anything smaller than a 7-bone whole beef rib, just for ball-park timing...there, I said it. Anyway, one will be an early gathering at my youngest daughter's house, and the other will be late at my oldest daughter's house. Everyone has days off work that don't fall together on the same day, so we're splitting up our celebrations and meals this year for Christmas. I usually smoke a 18-22lb 7-bone whole beef rib, but that would be severe overkill with separate meals this year, so I'll do 2 smaller beef rib eye, instead...figuring on hot & fast @ 280-300*, if the WSM will pull the temps (more accurately, if the Embers will produce the temps), depending on the weather. Gonna be playing it by ear...if the weather won't cooperate, then I'll plan on low & slow and start earlier...no big deal.

Funny part about these past and upcoming smokes in the WSM 18 is that it has been, and will continue to be, the perfect sized rig...I did not see that coming. And, for the occasions when it's been too small or I wanted to run different chamber temps, I have the kettles to lean on for indirect or direct cooking...can't go wrong...very pleased with my cooker line-up. Hopefully I have the slow heat build-up issues worked out with the Embers charcoal before the upcoming rib eye smokes (practice, practice, practice). My thoughts at the moment are that I just need a larger fire from the start compared to KBB, as Embers seems very slow to ignite from adjacent hot coals. Even when starting 1/3 chimney to add to the WSM today, they seemed sluggish to get going over a propane burner, although once removed from the flame I could see visible flame in the chimney earlier than with KBB and far less popping and snapping coals throwing out hot embers everywhere. I didn't really think about it at the time, but it all is starting to make sense, now. Guess I'm getting a bit slow in the noggin lately, with changes at work, changes in cooking gear...lots going on and more difficult to stay focused.

The advertised 15 minutes (if I recall) to start cooking and "fast lighting" with Embers would not be very accurate, but a longer burn time might be a good assumption based on how slow they actually ignite and begin putting out an appreciable amount of BTUs...time will tell. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this new fuel and it's characteristics, in the very early stages, so I may be completely off the mark and have it all wrong...but what I saw today indicated that I'm thinking correctly.

I think it would be a PITA to try to ignite Embers with vegetable oil soaked newspaper, like some guys do...might take several attempts to get a burn going, and then, a really long wait to dump the chimney when the coals are finally hot enough to do the job. I like my propane burners for starting charcoal chimneys because the time to get coals burning is somewhat irrelevant...once you know your fuel, that is. To put Embers into perspective, based on what I've experienced from this first round, I would put hardwood lump at #10 and Embers at #2-3 on a scale based upon lightning fast ignition to snails-paced ignition...only problem is that I can't think of anything slower than Embers...LOL!!! Joking aside, I'll stick with it and find out more, soon.

Monday's hot & fast (or attempted hot & fast) rib eye smoke will tell me more. I'll post that all here, of course.

Thanks again to all for your interest and support...you're all GREAT to be around!!!

See ya Monday!!!

Eric

Just a thought, have you emptied the ash from your lower bowl? I have a hard time getting past 240 when it fills up some.
Yep, she was emptied out before I brought it home from the last smoke at my daughter's place. Hmm...I'm going to step out and see how much is in it now...coals still had a hot-spot in the center about an hour ago, but with welding gloves on, I can set the ring/grate assembly into my OTG 26 on the coal grate and take a pic, just for giggles.

Just eye-balling it after a shake-off, there's 1-2" of gap between the ashes and the grate in most places...a bit less gap adjacent to the dampers, likely due to more burning coals where the most availability of combustion air was coming in, hence more fallen ash...makes sense. Oh, and just before or just after pulling the bid off I went and removed the barrel, then gathered up the coals with tongs into a heap in the center...just to push temps along with the close to dying fire. DB, do you think that is enough ash to start low-temp issues?

Well, low temps happened right from the start, though...this may be enough ash here to not be very far away from starting to kill the fire on a longer smoke, though.

Before the shake-off...still had a small hot-spot in the center, visible without illumination:

Almost dead, but not forgotten:

There's the ashes from about 10lbs of Embers...maybe these produce even more ash than KBB (???)...(BTW, that's the bottom of my now legless OTG 26 in the back-ground):

huh.gif
wtf1.gif
Oops.gif
...OK, so I guess I didn't double-check the dampers close enough, when I THOUGHT they were closed. I had the WSM a bit too close to the house to really get down there and see for sure, other than the one in front. This would explain the coals still burning again after more than an hour. Smoke and learn...I had 2 dampers cracked open about 10%...
icon_redface.gif
...so, I guess I won't worry about tweeking that 1 intake damper just yet, 'cuz this is not a fair or accurate representation of the fire extinguishing abilities of the WSM...nope. It WILL put the coals out...I've seen it once already...just need to see it one more time, now that I've seen the loose fitting damper disc, which seems to be a fairly new development:

Eric

Last edited:

I'd eat that thing barehanded. Like a watermelon.
drool.gif
th_HaHa7_ani.gif

Huh, not sure how I missed this...stepped on you while writing that last post, or something.

Still have a few slices left on the bones...wrapped-up in the fridge...if they could only figure out how to send a plate of smoke out through PMs...I'd be ALL OVER that site upgrade!!!

Eric

3.8LB RIB EYE & RUSSET TATERS

Well, sadly, this is my last smoke for a few days, until I'm off work next weekend. However, I saved a nice one to end this past two days of fun and learning on the WSM and the new (to me) charcoal, Embers. I probably could have lived without the added challenge of changing fuel while I'm still so fresh with the WSM, but I can handle it.

This evening, I decided to go hot and fast for the Rib Eye and Taters, so I dumped the ashes and fired up 2 Weber rapid fire chimneys, 1/2 full with Embers over propane burners on med/low flame until the charcoal was beginning to flame up through the center, about 5 minutes. Once ashed-over (about 15 more minutes minutes) with one on the WSM fire grate and the other on my Smokey Joe 14 fire grate, I dumped both in, heaping it towards the center and added a few smaller hickory chunks around the outside for a fast smoke. This won't take very long, and with a hot fire and no water in the pan I want some hard-core smoke from the start, because there won't be much time for it to grab onto the meat and taters.

So, we're off for one last push through the WSM...I trimmed most of the fat-cap off of the rib eye, thinking it was too small to stand-up on it's own, but it did:

I started the smoke with just sitting the barrel on, tossing on the rib eye and taters to the grate, inserting a probe and dropping a lid over it. So, cold smoker, hot fire, lotsa smoke up front. We'll see how the Embers takes off with wide open dampers. I'll monitor temps and choke it back if it's going to push over 350*, but I'd like to see it hit 300*...just for what if...and I've never smoked a hot & fast rib eye before, so, a lot of variables I'm playing the odds with tonight. I did probe from the start just so I can watch I/Ts by the minute, if desired, and I don't want to dump heat by opening the lid  to probe. That said, no peeking until I see 135* I/T.

Low Temp Issues:

25 minutes into the smoke and I have 235* grate temp with a 22* ambient temp at start-up and calm winds. 35 minutes and the grate temp was already falling off @ 224*. Fired another 1/2 chimney and dumped in after disconnecting probe leads and removing the barrel...quick and painless. Temps were up to 245* on the grate @ 45 minutes, in the time it took me to plug the sensor wires back into the heads after sitting the barrel back on. I did spread the coals out all the way across the grate, in case that was part of the problem, but the original load of Embers were burning, just not as hot towards the outside, so I'm thinking that the WSM doesn't like a partially covered fire grate. Wait and see.

270* grate temp @ 55 minutes...better...not what I hoped for, but it may climb some more...oh, wait, temps are falling just about as soon as I could look a second time...268*...fired another 1/2 chimney for round 2 of probe disconnects and barrel left. 271* @ 70 minutes with the 2nd additional 1/2 chimney...I'm not adding more, 'cuz the WSM fire ring is about 80% level to the top, now. It's gotta just burn and do it's best from here on out. 280* @ 75 minutes in...still climbing...284* @ 80 minutes, and I finally looked at the meat temp: 84*.

Cruise mode now...so far, I'd say for hot & fast, in cold weather, with Embers...2 full hot chimneys is a good place to start...but then I haven't done any mods for leak control just yet. My Brinkmann Gourmet Stacker was about like this, too...but I'd have to say that rig was far worse, especially for it's size.

282* grate temp & 88* meat temp @ 85 minutes into the smoke...I think I can finally relax a little...might even still make that 2.5hr cooking time I figured on for 260-270* grate temp...
biggrin.gif

293* grate temp & 101* meat temp @ 100 minutes.

300* grate and 112* meat temp @ 115 minutes...
yahoo.gif

286* grate & 122* meat temps @135 minutes.

275* grate & 129* meat temps @ 155 minutes...missed the 2.5-hr mark, but hey, that's why I'm doing this...to find out what it will take for the next 2 rib eyes.

268* grate & 131* meat temps @ 170 minutes. I'd build the fire up more now, depending on how far off my finished temp was and how much coals burned off, but we're so close now that I'd just be wasting fuel. Ambient temp is down to 16* now...and I'm getting hungry. Oh, checked the fire...still have about 3 briqs deep across most of the grate, some spots burned-up a bit faster.

277* grate & 134* meat temps @ 180 minutes...huh...fire must have dropped some ashes and settled in a little tighter for a bit hotter burn...maybe...

I put my Sous Chef to work for a couple minutes @ the 120 minute mark to prep a vegetable stir-fry dish...
huh.gif
...OK, OK, they were store-bought, cut and ready to go...come on, if you would have just rolled with me on this it would have worked...
icon_rolleyes.gif
roflmao.gif
:

The only added flavor to this dish is EVOO...cutting back on sodium makes it a good excuse to just leave well enough alone...
thumb1.gif
...:

277* grate & 138* meat temps @ 195 minutes...and we're done...that's 3.25hrs & 0.85hrs/lb, for those who want to know. Oh, guestimated average grate temp would be roughly 250*, considering I started out cold and had some speed-bumps along the way, with an hour passing before I got over 250*, and with a peak of 300*, but mostly riding in the ~270* range once I had the coals jamming nicely.

BTW, taters were done up nice and tender, as well. Skin was loose (hollow) in many areas, and a light squeezed indicated a sort of hollow feel to the flesh, like it split in two in a couple spots, so the flesh had shrunken quite a bit...that's a dead-ringer for a great, tender, fully cooked smoked tater!!!

15 minutes resting on the open board...:

Here's my perfect smoked potato...perforated the skin with a fork on one side, split with my fingers easily, give the splits a squeeze and the flesh opens right up...it's a thing of beauty:

And, lastly, my reward for the evening:

That, my friends was a delicious, easy and complete meal...OK, I didn't smoke any dessert, but, I doubt we'll want any after packing away all of this...LOL!!!

If I could I'd be sharing this with all of you...nice way to end the weekend...oh, wait, I just did!!! So, what I REALLY meant was to dine with you...yeah.

I did miss the 2-hr mark, but I have a much better idea what it will take for time and fire management with Embers in the WSM on the next 2 hot & fast rib eyes with taters...no matter what happens tonight, I walk away with some more lessons under my belt, and that is priceless

It did some effort and fuel to get those grate temps up in the 300* range, but we did it!!! I'm getting more comfortable with the WSM and Embers now...for hot & fast, just kick it off with a big, hot fire that covers the whole fire grate and don't worry about high temps in the cooler weather...it won't run away very fast with the 4lbs of pea-gravel in the water pan. All things considered, I can amke this work...WSM 18, Embers, Rib Eye & Taters...yeah...done deal...oit worked for me, so I'm gonna stick with it for our upcoming Christmas dinner(s). And, I'm step further down that road on my journey with the WSM...a couple more weeks and we'll be tight friends.

Ah, there's nothing like ending the weekend on a high note with a tasty meal for my efforts.

Great smokes to all, and to all a good night!!!

Eric

Last edited:
Wow. This thread is awesome. Great info and food.

Thumbs Up

Wow. This thread is awesome. Great info and food.

icon14.gif
Thanks, brother!!! Been a pleasure sharing smoke with you!!!

Geez Eric, when can I move in?! You're on a roll!!
roflmao.gif
Hey, DB, got a spare room, right now...but, you might have to bring your own smoker and slide it in beside mine, 'cuz I ain't about to give up my WSM!!! I'll share my kettles with ya, though...LOL!!!

Good times in WSM territory...yes they are. Oh, crap!!! Gotta check the fire before I turn in for eyelid inspections...she gets her cover tonight if she's gettin' cold.

Hey, thanks for the points, too, fellas!!!

Eric

Last edited:
Huh, I got the coals to die-out tonight when I actually got all 4 dampers in the FULLY CLOSED position...and there's still about 1-1/2 to 2 deep for briqs on the grate, although, I didn't shake the ashes off, so a bit less than it looks like...life is good!! She's under wraps until next weekend. I'll be thinking about what to thaw next for a couple more burns...hmm, wonder what's left in the freezers? OK, time for some rummaging...later!!

Eric

Looks good! Maybe there's a brisket or pork butt in there for a nice long smoke!Thumbs Up

Nice lookin rib eye dinner man, dang.... Ya know I'm not that far away.... I could have been there to taste test ! :biggrin: Seriously man, nice lookin chow ya had there ! Thumbs Up

Looks good! Maybe there's a brisket or pork butt in there for a nice long smoke!
icon14.gif
Thanks, brother!!! There were no leftovers between 2 adults and 2 teens...perfect sized meal us.

No, I know there aren't any big hunks of meat. Not sure I'm ready for a long smoke just yet, especially with winter setting in on me. I'm game for daylight smokes, though. I just dug up a 3-1/2lb Chucky to thaw in my Q-Fridge. I believe I'll fire-up for that on Saturday morning and put some more Embers through the WSM. The good thing is that my chucky should be fully thawed this time around...seems like most of my meats aren't given enough thaw time lately...or better put, I don't figure out a game plan soon enough before smoke-day. So, pulled beef with taters (maybe with gravy), and I might scrounge up some veggies to toss into the mix.

Man, 2 more days to wait until I pull the cover off the WSM again...so, it's like 60 hours, and counting down...
yahoo.gif
...gee-whiz, you'd think I had a new toy...oh, I DO!!! LOL!!!

Eric

Nice lookin rib eye dinner man, dang.... Ya know I'm not that far away.... I could have been there to taste test !
biggrin.gif
Seriously man, nice lookin chow ya had there !
icon14.gif
th_roflmao.gif
...we need to rally with admin about those PM deluxe smoke deliveries...I've been mentioning it for a couple of years, now...your dinner would have been just a click away. Thanks, brother!!! We do enjoy rib eye...tender and tasty...add a touch of smoke...yeah, it doesn't get much better.

Eric

Really well done, all of it, the cooking, the pictures and the explainations.

Nice choice to match those at the table.

You just did it all. Great job.

I always loved winter cookings, its warm at the pit and you don't want to leave. Those nice warm beverages. And those chefs pieces like a link a sausage to accompany the meal, NOT! Its for the cooks delight while cooking!

Last edited:

Really well done, all of it, the cooking, the pictures and the explainations.

Nice choice to match those at the table.

You just did it all. Great job.

I always loved winter cookings, its warm at the pit and you don't want to leave. Those nice warm beverages. And those chefs pieces like a link a sausage to accompany the meal, NOT! Its for the cooks delight while cooking!
Thank you, brother!!! Oh, you're sure bringing back memories of the all-night smokes I've done over the years. On the daylight smokes there's always a rib-flap or rib-tips or something to snack on, eventually....even if you didn't plan on it, you're covered...
biggrin.gif

Eric

CHUCKY, RUSSETS, RED ONIONS & BREAKFAST SAUSAGE LINKS (WITH BAGEL, EGG, SAUSAGE BREAKFAST SANDWICHES)

And, I'm off with the start of another weekend of fun in the smoke.

I started cold with a central fire ignited with a torch again. I had about 1-1/2+" of Embers left after the last burn...shook it off and dumped the ashes, then re-foiled the pan for a fresh start, using just one 18" wide piece and not forming it all the way down into the pan. It has about 1" deep bowl formed for drippings, so it should be perfect for today (no water). I dropped the 4lb chuck in on bottom with 3 red onion (only removed the husk, no cuts or other prep). Hickory for smoke and a fresh bed of Embers over top of the remnants, about 2/3 of the ring filled. Intake dampers are set to about 25%, ambient temp was 34* and is now @ 50*, with calm winds...beautiful day for an early December smoke.

I dropped the links in about 1-1/2hrs in...(too good to not try at least one more time...besides, I had grate space...LOL!!!). Links are ready to come out and play in a sandwich...75 minutes @ approx 200* grate temp...taters, chuck and onions have been for about 2-3/4 hours.

Nice snap to the casing and a smoke ring throughout the entire sausage, with an ever so slight grey center in some spots. Juicy, flavorful and delicious!!! And again, smoke flavor was not over-powering:

Toasted plain Bagels with melted butter, eggs scrambled in a bit of butter and seasoned with SPOG, along with smoked sausage links...this was a very simple, delicious breakfast:

I'm just kickin' back and waiting for about 165* I/T in the chuck to pan/tent to steaming for the finish...keeps the bark a bit softer for easier pulling. WSM is cruising along around 200* with 153* meat temp @ 4hrs into the smoke and still 1/2 the ring full of Embers charcoal. I'm planning for a simple light brown gravy again, like I've done in the past. Maybe I can recover my drippings from the foil...not as hot with the fire, so it shouldn't scorch. That would be a nice boost for the gravy.

I'll play it by ear based on the amount the potatoes have cooked when the chucky comes out, but if they cooked lightly like I want, hence the lower chamber temps, I can peel the potatoes and cube them into the pot with the chuck to finish, instead of eating them like a baked potato. Potatoes cook VERY slowly @ 225* and under...usually more slowly than medium/small cuts of meats. So, with reduced heat smoking for under-cooking they can be utilized for more variety in how you want to finish them...depends on your dish. The red onions will be for garnish, and leftover onions will go to the freezer for adding to other dishes when I want to incorporated some smoke flavor (chilies, pastas, soups...you get the drift). We love smoked potatoes, squashes, onions, garlic, peppers, chilies...what more can I say?

Easy day in the smoke, toady. Back later this evening with the finish!!!

Thanks for peekin'!!!

Eric

Reactions: foamheart

You'll be eating good...well, it looks like you already have - nice breakfast sammies!!
drool.gif
Thanks, yeah, those bagels were pretty tasty, and I'm not a huge bagel fan. They're OK, but with the fillings I had, pretty darn good!!!

Hey Eric, how long do those spuds normally take to cook on your WSM?
It depends on size, of course, but temps mostly. 225* with a larger russet, probably 8+ hours. Idaho bakers in the 1lb to 1-1/4lb range (the nice big taters) are all night+. If you are pushing temps closer to 250* it will cut down on the time by about 1/4-1/3...get to around 275* and you can cut the time by closer to 1/2. 300*+ isn't that long at all, but, the trade off, as with anything smoked, the hotter the temp the faster it cooks...the faster it cooks, the less smoke you'll get. I went for really low & slow today...average temp was just under 200*.

These med to small russets today came out with the chuck @ 5.5 hours an were partially cooked...loose skin, but still firm inside.

I'll post those pics here in a bit...just got the chuck into a 450 watt 6qt crock-pot on high to steam...figured it's easier to do that than rebuild the fire or crank up the oven and heat-up the house.

Eric

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky