I've been challenged!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like fun. Just too bad you made it so far in the future. We want to see Qview now!
biggrin.gif

i couldnt hold it in any longer.....this happened saturday. i've been bustin a gut to tell someone ever since. i'll use the same thread to post it in
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looking forward to the report. I had a cookoff once kinda like that with ribs. The other guy was manager of the Atlanta branch of a very well known fairly highly rated and priced restaurant chain. I smoked my ribs for hours before he and his family arrived. He pulled out some precooked (boiled or steamed) whitish looking ribs, slathered some sauce on them and heated em up on my grill a few minutes. Night and day.

However, his kids liked those more than mine because it was what they were raised on and they don't know any better. Make sure you have some judges that have some taste and have eaten at restaurants not located near malls.

Got a good set of Bear Claws to pull with? That alone will impress the crowd! (My MIL didn't understand 'Pulled Pork' until she saw those and watched me flake a whole butt with them, she was impressed!)

Pops §§

Isn't it great that people that don't know anything think they know it all!? I know you are going to sweep the floor with this guy. Somebody here in the office started to talk smack about challenging me. I didn't even have to cook, when everybody else started telling her that she would lose she backed down. Why do women think men can't cook?

Anyway I can't wait to see the q-view and hear the blow-by-blow!

Hey BigWayne, Sounds to me like you were the real winner there. Too bad I wasn't there to Judge. From the sound of the way he was cooking his sounds like real Fast Food! Did he ask anyone, "Do You Want Fries with That?". I proclaim you as the real winner.
Thomas
biggrin.gif

Hey Dirtman775,
From the sounds of it, ya got nothing to worry about it. You will win hands down. When he was doing all the bragging and you just kept being quiet reminded me of that old TV Show, "The Guns of Will Sonnett" played by Walter Brennan. Anyway on the show he would often say, "No brag, just fact”. So when you do win at this cookoff and you will! Just say to the Braggar, "No brag, just fact”!
Thomas
biggrin.gif

This is very true, and what I'd be most worried about. I just went to friends house for a party a couple of weeks ago and he did ribs. He'd been talking them up for weeks (mostly cause he was flipping me guff over how goofy it was for me to hang out in a smoking meat chat room) about how great his ribs were and his were surely better than mine. It wasn't a challenge, I didn't go up against him, I just showed up to eat and hang out like everyone else.

Anyhow when we got there, and we went out back I saw that he had an old New Braunfel's. I had no idea he had a real smoker. He'd never mentioned it before. So I walked up to it to take a look and it was cold! I asked him if plans changed and we were ordering pizza or something. He said no, he was doing the ribs in the oven!

Now I've done ribs in the oven before, and they were tasty with great texture. I really liked them. The meat was cooked to perfection and the seasonings I used turn out nice. But they were NOT BBQ!!!!! I repeat, they were NOT BBQ!!!! Everyone talked about how great they thought his ribs were and if I could do better. I just smiled and nodded my head and said "oh I don't know, these are pretty good." A. I didn't want to start the argument with people who obviously had no idea what they were talking about. And B. I didn't want to seem rude knocking someone else's cooking when I was an invited guest.

So what BigWayne says has a LOT of merit. My mom makes a mean pork roast in the oven too. But she wouldn't know how to start a fire to do a BBQ!

Kick his butt and educate whoever is showing up to "judge". Make sure they know about BBQ.

Sorry for the rant.

Yeah = what Dude said...and the other poster who went up against the boiled or steamed rib guy...

I was thinking the same thing. I did ribs for a superbowl party this year, and there was one gal there (friend of the Mrs.) who said as I was pulling the ribs out of the roaster that I brought them in, "the bones better fall out when I pick them up, or they ain't no good!"

Of course, I cringed and kept my mouth shut. Wanted the Mrs. to be "friendly" when we got home, so I didn't diss her friend
biggrin.gif

Point is, some people only know what THEY like, which is fine - but you can ALWAYS say in the end, "what you're doing isn't BBQ...it's oven roasting"

Hey thomas, got the bear paws rarin to go
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. i would like to say there is NO WAY i would be able to turn out the great Q with out this site....pssssttt and soflaquer's finishing sauce, that is what is gonna put me over the edge
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

You can get them online at several places. I got mine at Cabela's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky