It's official, my job sucks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikedixon

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
East Tennessee
 I have been geared up for nearly 2 months now to cook for my local Benefit Fall Festival. I bought a new grill, had 2 different restaurants allowing me to order food through them, and paid my entry fee, but now, I can't get off work on Oct 2 because I am the low man on the totem pole, and everyone else just happens to have plans for that weekend that just came up, and they all knew I had this planned for so long. I just found out yesterday. I want to quit work, but my wife isn't too keen on the idea. I guess in these times, it would be dumb to give up a 50k/yr plus benefits over something like this, but employers know these are rough times, and they are treating employees crappy. I'm over it.

Sorry if I sound whiney, but I hate this situation we are all in. I'm afraid it ain't going to get any better any time soon either. I have never seen so many people so job scared. Folks are afraid to say anything for fear of getting fired and replaced by a temp. We need to get rid of the NAFTA and get our jobs back. Hey Washington, take note!

You can have the soap box back, I'm done with it now.

You may mention to your boss that it is a charity event and it may be in their best interest to have a presence.  Them being a civic minded, socially responsible company and all.

my advice is keep the job    unemployment keeps rising and obama keeps spending money we dont have

unemployment is 10%  dont push it higher!

You should smoke tons of ribs, briskets, pulled pork, etc., and take it to lunch every day.  Then give tiny, small, airplane-sized sample portions to everyone (especially your boss) when they ask you what smells so good -- but ONLY ONCE.  Then don't let them have any more and don't even let them buy any.  Tell them that you *would* but you already have plans for it.  Then take your leftovers outside and feed them to the resident stray animals.  Do this EVERY DAY.

Bring some to work for lunch every day, then invite your co-workers to a sunday smoke (except the boss). Give everyone some for a monday lunch (except the boss).  REPEAT!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now I like the bringing your lunh trick and tell everyone what you were going to do it for might work but....... Being a bossman myself I would let you go and make someone work but maybe that's why I have employees of 19 and 8 years now. But I would be already cooking in this thing so maybe I wouldn't let you off...... Hell you might beat me in the cook off..... 

I feel you pain. I was at a job for 10 years and was still the low man on the totem poll. Constantly got the shaft. After 10 years that began to sting a bit. I was lucky enough to land a great job this spring, and after just 6 months they have already given me more than my last job. Hang in there. There may be something better out there but please be patient. Don't let them get the best of you. Cook whatever you can in advance and have someone take it to the benefit for you. You can still do your good deed and go to work knowing you helped make the world a little brighter.

Bring some to work for lunch every day, then invite your co-workers to a sunday smoke (except the boss). Give everyone some for a monday lunch (except the boss).  REPEAT!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
his co-workers could help him out if they would. but they just had things pop up they had to do and would not take his place. so don;t give them none

eather and tell them to go to ha ha .just be nice when you do lol  ( what goes around come around )
frown.gif

I agree with seniority for allotting vacation time but if you already had something planned they have no right to change your plans.

What if you had a trip planned to Hawaii or a cruise or something and Joey-jerk*ff decides he wants that time so he can go play tennis.

Not Fair at all.

And management wants to know where the bad attitude comes from...go figure.

I  have felt your pain, I've been in that same position but only for different reasons. Sometimes you have to think long-term and just bite the bullet. I know this doesn't make things any better, but sometimes that's the way it rolls.

Your company is not being very smart - I think when the event first came up I would have gone to the HR department and mentioned it was for a charity and asked if they would like to participate with you - that way you are guaranteed to get the time off

Good luck and I hope it works out for ya

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky