Italian Surf and Turf...4 Salami & 4 Cheese Calzone; Baked Italain Snapper with Marinara and Linguini (Pic. Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So...my friend txsmoker txsmoker recently posted his calzone cook. I told him I would cook this at the Firehouse. Well, I had Italian baked fish on deck, but decided to go ahead and do the Calzones too. 1. They had a new Weber pellet grill (new toy to play with). 2. I had not used my new slicer yet and wanted to try it out (new toy to play with; had to wait for cut proof gloves to arrive so I could break it down clean it for use. The gloves arrived Thursday.) 3. I had most of the ingredients on hand, with some cheeses I needed to use. Bear with me, this is a long post.

I elected to make the pizza dough night before. Sorry, no pics...but I let it rise for an hour in a warm oven then moved to fridge overnight to develop flavor. The yeast I used was 23 years old, still in original package. I added sugar and some dextrose as insurance. It did rise....

After unloading all the stuff at the firehouse, first order of business was to pulled the dough from the fridge 3 hours before cooking, punch it down, then divide the dough into 4 balls and cover to let rise on counter. (Thought I took a pic. but did not...bummer)

Next was to clean the slicer of packaging oil and slice the 4 meats: Venison Breasola, Milano Salami, Slow Cured Pepperoni, and since my Coppas are not finished yet, I substituted a link of Andouille I had in the fridge that needed to be eaten.
Breasola:
IMG_20210128_155012.jpg

Milano:
IMG_20210128_155015.jpg

Pepperoni and Andouille:
IMG_20210128_155007.jpg

That new slicer is awesome! sliced the Beasola 0.75mm!!! Gonna be awesome for my Coppas when they are ready!

Next I roasted the red bell pepper:
IMG_20210128_154744.jpg

Then sauteed 1 Spanish onion with about 2 TBSPS. of Nduja I had that needed to be used up. Added a kick of heat and WOW the flavor!
IMG_20210128_155701.jpg

I had the Homemade Marinara (made last summer) simmering on the stove to reduce. There's 30# of tomatoes in that pot..
IMG_20210128_182815.jpg

The guys fired up the Pellet grill while I rolled the dough and started building the Calzones. Rolled the dough roughly 9"X13" then brushed one half with 2tbsp. melted butter, then 1-2 cloves minced fresh garlic, Parmesan cheese. Them the Milano, pepperjack cheese, Pepperoni, Andouille, Romano cheese, and Beasola.
IMG_20210128_165913.jpg

Now to finish with veggies and more cheese. roasted red bell pepper, diced tomato, sliced pickled pepperocinis, sauteed onions and Nduja, finally shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
IMG_20210128_172240.jpg

Did all 4 this way. Sealed them up good on the edges with egg wash. I did not have a brush at the station for the eggwash to brush the tops of the calzones... So I skipped it.

Q-view on the weber pellet grill:
IMG_20210128_175102.jpg

Baked the calzones for 25 minutes. While those were on, I got the fish ready and boiled the pasta.
IMG_20210128_182809.jpg

Off the grill..
IMG_20210128_182307.jpg

I drizzled a little honey on top and sprinkled a little dried basil...(honey helped the dried basil stick and added one more layer of flavor)

And the big finally....the plate:
IMG_20210128_183205.jpg

Just look at that....
27351350352771.jpg

That Calzone was amazing! Depth of flavors...sweet, salty, little heat, the layers of cheese...the sourdough bread...the hint of smoke.....they ate it ALL! Not a crumb left!!! Thanks for the idea txsmoker txsmoker , t'was awesome!

Last edited:
Good lord that looks unbelievably delicious!
Thanks Steve. It was absolutely incredible! The flavors were off the charts! Every bite was a little different depending on if you got a bite of sweet roasted red pepper, or a pepperocini, or some of those sauteed caramelized onions with the Nduja. Off the charts umami from the salamis. I will be making this again soon! This is why I started making my own salumi and salami!

Keith I am totally blown away buddy!! The calzones look off the charts incredible but that whole meal is just to die for!! Once again I'll say that what you do for the guys at the firehouse is fantastic!! I can only imagine they are very grateful for your efforts. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

Everything looks incredible and delicious! Very professional looking meal for sure. Great job, and I'm sure the Guys really appreciate all you do. Thanks for sharing and great pictures too.

Looks delicious for sure! All of your homemade meats had to send it over the top, plus all the other flavors you added! Bet the guys at firehouse are loving their new toy already!

Ryan

Keith I am totally blown away buddy!! The calzones look off the charts incredible but that whole meal is just to die for!! Once again I'll say that what you do for the guys at the firehouse is fantastic!! I can only imagine they are very grateful for your efforts. Excellent job my friend.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I bought a new slicer and as promised will be packing up your old one and sending it to someone on SMF soon... I've been getting my new chamber up and running, will post a thread soon.

Yea good thing the whistle didn't blow to let that meal get cold. Nice looking plate.

Warren
Thanks Warren..but don't jinx them! Though it does happen that they get a call right when it is time to eat, thankfully it is not that often.

Everything looks incredible and delicious! Very professional looking meal for sure. Great job, and I'm sure the Guys really appreciate all you do. Thanks for sharing and great pictures too.
Thanks MJB, They feed me too... I don't do all the cooking.

Looks delicious for sure! All of your homemade meats had to send it over the top, plus all the other flavors you added! Bet the guys at firehouse are loving their new toy already!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. Yeah, the meats were incredible. The guys have been using the new smoker pretty regular.

fantastic piece of work, everything looks wonderful, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray! It was an awesome trip to flavortown!!!

Yup that's how it can go all our boys are VOL and seems like most of the in a big family gathering it will blow.

Warren
Yeah...I usually try to do at least one finger food that they can grab on the way out the door if they get a call. It has happened that they have had serious calls right at dinner time and not back to the station for hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky