ITALIAN SUBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You certainly got my attention!! Back before I really got into coking we used to get these grilled Italian subs from Domino's. Then I started making them and we stopped ordering. Fast forward a couple years and I started making my own sausage, including a whole bunch of cured and dry aged stuff. Just went out and checked my inventory in the freezer. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight....

Thawing out the meats,
Robert

Early in our marriage, my super-taster wife let me know with the sharpest clarity that she only ate Best Foods Mayo. Personally, I could never taste the difference between mayos. MW has a distinct flavor that I liked on occasion, but it is only an old memory around here. I've never seen Dukes.

Well after a whole day of dreaming about those sammiches,.I broke down, hit my local Kroger and bought the same meat kit. And buns lol. But I also bought the "everything" flavor of the same buns. I prefer the everything flavor for sure!

Differences were I added only the meat, cheese, red onion, salt, pepper, banana peppers and red wine vinegar before rebaking to melt the cheese.

Then pulled and added a bit of mayo, lettuce, tomato and more red wine vinegar.

OP, Kroger Corp can thank you for about 40.00 in business they wouldn't have otherwise received today!

20191116_172933.jpg

The hopslam was just the cherry on the cake. I love. A good Italian sub, but always pan grocery stores for not carrying decent sub buns.. granted these aren't perfect, but by far the best I've found thusfar.

Thanks!

Reactions: Sowsage
Well after a whole day of dreaming about those sammiches,.I broke down, hit my local Kroger and bought the same meat kit. And buns lol. But I also bought the "everything" flavor of the same buns. I prefer the everything flavor for sure!

Well, well, well....looks like I'm not the only one who was influenced by this post :emoji_blush: I did mine last night. One difference is that all of the sausages that went on this I made, cured, and dry aged. That made for an incredible sammie!! We used to do these regularly but have not made them in way too long so decided it was time. I'll just post a few pics so as not to hijack this thread.

My goodies to start with: Soppresata, ginger and vermouth salami, pepperoni, and smoked ham
002.jpg

I do mine on the pizza stone on the grill. Added tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and sandwich peppers
009.jpg

Did some homemade fries in the 360 Air Fryer
012.jpg

Meat and buns on the grill with some provolone cheese
015.jpg

Add some homemade pickles and I'm ready to eat
019.jpg

These were a huge hit!! Lots of meat and some bold, rich flavors. I took a lot more pics and thought about doing my thread but Sowsage Sowsage deserves full credit for the inspiration to dig these out of mothballs and make them. Thank you!!

Robert

Differences were I added only the meat, cheese, red onion, salt, pepper, banana peppers and red wine vinegar before rebaking to melt the cheese.

Then pulled and added a bit of mayo, lettuce, tomato and more red wine vinegar.

OP, Kroger Corp can thank you for about 40.00 in business they wouldn't have otherwise received today!

View attachment 411767

The hopslam was just the cherry on the cake. I love. A good Italian sub, but always pan grocery stores for not carrying decent sub buns.. granted these aren't perfect, but by far the best I've found thusfar.

Thanks!
Great looking sammie! Wish incould get somenkick backnfrom kroger lol! We buy the everything buns in the hot dog buns theybare really good! Great thinking on adding those toppings after the bake. Ill donthat the next time. Some stuff is just better not to get warm and soggy! Great job! They look amazing!

Reactions: fivetricks
Well, well, well....looks like I'm not the only one who was influenced by this post :emoji_blush: I did mine last night. One difference is that all of the sausages that went on this I made, cured, and dry aged. That made for an incredible sammie!! We used to do these regularly but have not made them in way too long so decided it was time. I'll just post a few pics so as not to hijack this thread.

My goodies to start with: Soppresata, ginger and vermouth salami, pepperoni, and smoked ham
View attachment 411776

I do mine on the pizza stone on the grill. Added tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and sandwich peppers
View attachment 411777

Did some homemade fries in the 360 Air Fryer
View attachment 411778

Meat and buns on the grill with some provolone cheese
View attachment 411779

Add some homemade pickles and I'm ready to eat
View attachment 411780

These were a huge hit!! Lots of meat and some bold, rich flavors. I took a lot more pics and thought about doing my thread but Sowsage Sowsage deserves full credit for the inspiration to dig these out of mothballs and make them. Thank you!!

Robert
Man o man! You definitely took this to the next level! All those homemade meats look amazing and doing it on the pizza stone adds to it as well! Great job great looking sammies! Im glad i have influenced a few to make some great meals!

Nice Job to You Too, Robert.
Sowsage has me thinking Hoagie too!!
BTW: How'd you like those AirFryer Fries???
Pretty darn good, huh??
Like.
BTW: I like to put the Baking Pan under the Crisper Tray, to catch falling seasoning & drippings.

Bear

Last edited:
Man o man! You definitely took this to the next level! All those homemade meats look amazing and doing it on the pizza stone adds to it as well! Great job great looking sammies! Im glad i have influenced a few to make some great meals!

Thank you for the kind words and the inspiration to get these back on the menu board. It is fun, and adds a different dimension to use homemade cured and dry aged meats. Far better than Domino's or store bought meats....but still, there are some really good artisan Italian meats out there that can be had from the grocery store. Any port in a storm to create these beauties!!

Was a good sammie!!
Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
Nice Job to You Too, Robert.
Sowsage has me thinking Hoagie too!!

I'm glad he got me thinking about them, that's for sure!! I'm certain we'll see a Bear sized Italian Sub coming to a theater near us real soon.

BTW: How'd you like those AirFryer Fries???
Pretty darn good, huh??

So far I'm really liking the air fryer. It's far more versatile than the other one we had. I've done French fries a couple times, some sun dried tomatoes, and Chicken Fried Steak using rib eyes from the freezer. All have been outstanding. Just need to learn what the heck all those different settings are for :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Those look great - the mayo........lol
I'm not a big Mayo guy, but I love Duke's in tuna, macaroni and potato salad.
We can't get it out west, so I order 6 jars at a time off Amazon or have a friend send them to me in the mail.

And here is our dinner. Not as thought out and over the top as the others posted here. But still plenty tasty.

PB170051.jpg

Some fresh round De Campagne bread. Roast beef and other fixings.

PB170052.jpg

Starting the build. Good stack of roast beef with cheese.

PB170053.jpg

Grilled nice and crispy. Then opened up and put some Miracle whip and horseradish on them. And reduced the Au Jus a touch for dipping.

PB170054.jpg

And added some Panko and sea salt crusted onion rings. Was a good meal after a long day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky