Italian Sausage w/ Cabernet & Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Got around to pounding out a 25 pound batch of my signature sausage. I usually it make with a combo of 60% wild hog meat and 40% domestic pork butt. No wild hog meat in the freezer and not a lot of them running around now that I'm here in AZ, going with straight pork butt. Three butts around 9 lbs each, shoulder bone removed.
DSCN1201.JPG

Cut into grinder sized chunks
DSCN1202.JPG
Ran it thru a medium plate, took about three minutes
DSCN1204.JPG

Assembled ingredients: PS Seasonings 260-B Italian sausage mix, 3 cups ice cold cabernet sauvignon (something worthy of drinking), and one knob of garlic, chopped up nice.
DSCN1203.JPG

Dump the seasoning mix and garlic into the wine, stir it around a bit, and toss it along with the ground pork butt into the meat mixer for a 6-7 minute ride
DSCN1158.JPG

That's enough for one day, there's lots of tidy up to be done. The seasoned meat goes into the fridge overnight to let things marry up.
DSCN1162.JPG

Up early this morning while it's still chilly out, stuffer tank spent the night in the freezer
DSCN1211.JPG

Pricking, linking, cutting into individual sausages at 7" each
DSCN1208.JPG
DSCN1209.JPG

Every casings worth gets placed into the fridge, everything stays as cold as possible
DSCN1210.JPG

The entire load of sausage links goes out to the garage freezer while I clean the stuffing gear and make brekky. What didn't link up got turned into a few patties, I'm happy!
DSCN1212.JPG

I like to let the sausages sit in the freezer for 4-5 hours before vac-sealing so they stay uniform, presentation counts. I used pre-cut bags, three sausages each to a bag. My commercial grade sealer knocked the load out in ten minutes, never have to wait for anything to cool down
DSCN1214.JPG

It's been a fairly productive 24 hours, maybe I'll have a drink later. Thanks for looking! RAY

Just plain out Jealous you have way to many toys LOL knock them down they look great and sound like I want one or maybe MORE Big Likes
Richie
I have acquired quite a collection over the years Richie, without spending a dime of bank or real money. We charge everything, every month, on a Cabelas card, and pay it off in full at the end of each month, done things that way for many many years. For Xmas and my B-day my FIL gives me a Cabelas gift card for $250. I love sausage making, charcuterie, and meat smoking, to do it today with the gear I had 20 years back would be impossible, too much arthritis all over. Heck, I've got a little over a grand in points and gift cards right now, really not much left that I need. Maybe a Ruger 17HMR for some AZ coyotes out in the desert! Thanks for the "likes", I appreciate them. RAY

Sausage looks right on point! I remember the first pack of sausages i tried to vac seal.......didnt turn out so well lol. Definitely have to freeze for a little while first! The wine and garlic addition to the pre made seasonings sounds like it would be delicious! LIKE!

looks great, love that breakfast, just the way I like my eggs
I might do a omelet occasionally, but I really like sunny side up in a covered omelet pan, perfect every time. I fry them in bacon grease when bacon is the side, otherwise just use butter. I've always had a gas stove until we moved to AZ four months back, this place has electric and I hate it, but I'm learning. I much prefer the instant response of the flame, just another of life's adjustments. Thanks for the like! RAY

Reactions: forktender
Sausage looks right on point! I remember the first pack of sausages i tried to vac seal.......didnt turn out so well lol. Definitely have to freeze for a little while first! The wine and garlic addition to the pre made seasonings sounds like it would be delicious! LIKE!
For years I made my own seasoning mixes and they turned out just a hair different each time. The first time I ordered the stuff from Cabelas (PS Seasonings) I loved the flavor and friends and family raved about it. What I really like is that the flavor is repeatable every time, the wine and garlic was my addition, kicks it up a bit. Thanks for the like! RAY

Nice work on the sausage , looks great . Some of the best Italian I've made was fennel and anise added to a hot pork sausage breakfast seasoning I had .
Like the add of the wine and garlic .
this place has electric and I hate it,
Been there ,,, you'll get used to it . I like it better now , but took awhile .

They are inedible, pretty much like a coyote, and believe me, I've tried many different ways to digest a coyote, it's impossible. They are not pigs. Check it out if you like, here's a little something. I think they're more like rats. RAY

"Javelina are not pigs. They look similar, but pigs are from the "Old World" and peccary are "New World" animals. There are many other differences most having to do with differences in physical anatomy." RAY

Thank you Warren! I'm beat up this morning, lumping all my gear back and forth from garage to kitchen isn't working well. In the old place all my sausage making gear was in a butlers pantry right off of the kitchen, some changes will be happening. Bob's pissed, no walk to the park today. RAY

What can I say that hasn't been said already. That sausage looks fabulous. Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
They are inedible, pretty much like a coyote, and believe me, I've tried many different ways to digest a coyote, it's impossible. They are not pigs. Check it out if you like, here's a little something. I think they're more like rats. RAY

"Javelina are not pigs. They look similar, but pigs are from the "Old World" and peccary are "New World" animals. There are many other differences most having to do with differences in physical anatomy." RAY
I know that Javelina is not related to old world swine. (Thought I would get grief over my intentional misspelling.)
People I know from Texas use skunk hogs for sausage and even a slow q.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky