• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Italian Sausage, My second smoke! HELP?

Did I cook the sausages long enough and at a high enough temp to ensure they were done?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigheadz

Joined Mar 29, 2011
So Saturday evening spring was in the air and I decided to smoke some Italian Sausage to take for a picnic on a hiking excursion we went on Sunday down in Shawnee National Forest!  This was kind of a last moment idea and I got a late start, so no prep work was done here, what you see is what you get.  I decided on Hickory Wood Chips this time.

I had read some earlier posts about smoking ground sausage, so I made some patties as well.

The smoker was loaded up around 7:30 pm, with the heat being regulated anywhere from 275-300 degrees.  My target temp was to be 170 degrees with a estimated cook time of three hours.  

After 1:45 I had the sausage patties on the bottom at 170 and pulled everything out!

I was a little concerned that it didn't take the full 3 hours.

The Italian sausage links, appeared to be done and had a good smoky flavor.  I had read that they would turn red like a hotdog.

This is where I become concerned, they Italian Sausage patties turned out to have a real red color as well.  I was not expecting this.  When I tore them apart they also appeared to have a red tint to them as well.  I am assuming that the smoking process does not turn the sausage to the sausage the same color as say frying them. I am also concerned that by actually probing ground sausage on the bottom rack that I wasn't getting an accurate temperature reading.   I did taste one and it had great summer sausage type of flavor, and had a done texture.  Please note there is no marinade or seasoning on these patties.

Do Sausage patties always turn out with this color?

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
Yep.  That's the smoke ring we all strive for -- it just looks a little different in ground meat.  Many people think the meat is not done because it looks pink/reddish.  Common concern with smoking, but absolutely unfounded if you hit 170*.  Enjoy without concern!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Yep.  That's the smoke ring we all strive for -- it just looks a little different in ground meat.  Many people think the meat is not done because it looks pink/reddish.  Common concern with smoking, but absolutely unfounded if you hit 170*.  Enjoy without concern!

Yep, X2

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.