Italian Sausage in Thailand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
First, yeah it can be found in Thailand. High end restaurants, and big city grocers that cater to Westerners will have what I consider Italian with fennel, and familiar flavors. (This is why I’m here learning sausage making. I’m not near those places)

Right now I’m asking about pizzas specifically.

I’ve given up ordering pizza with Italian Sausage here. It always comes as either, sliced smoked rope sausage, low end hot dogs sliced thin, or these brilliantly red sausages that are about as big round as my pinky finger, cut 1/4” - 3/8”, firmer than an hotdog, and resemble for all the world a ‘saveloy’ In appearance. I cannot vouch that they resemble the flavor of saveloy as I’ve never knowingly had one. To me the flavor of these red things is that of an extremely low end budget hotdog (think cheaper than Bar-S, and thinner)

My question is, are these vibrant red ‘sausages’ a type of Italian Sausage with which I am unfamiliar? …or more likely, them thinking this is what Westerners eat?

-sterling

The red ones you are trying are more likely Filipino hot dogs from your description.

filipino_hot_dog.jpg

An Italian sausage should be very spicy and have a brown color. The meat will be ground thicker and have lots of seasoning in it.

This is an American version uncooked.

italian_hot.jpg

Once cooked it will look like this.

italian_cooked.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky