It Was Just Time To Smoke A Meatloaf (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Putting this in GD because it's a mixed bag of goodies.

Never really cared fr meatloaf growing up. That's because my mother just was not a very creative cook: ground beef shaped into a football and slathered with ketchup. Several years ago on one of our many motorcycle trips we stopped at a little country diner way out in the middle of nowhere for lunch. Somebody at the table next to us ordered meatloaf and it looked fantastic so I ordered it, along with mashed taters, gravy, and fried okra. It was outstanding!! Since then I've tried a few times making them and always came away disappointed. I just didn't seem to be able to get one anywhere close to what I wanted. Tried again a couple days ago and finally hit pay dirt.

The loaf: 1 pound 85/15 ground beef, 1/2 pound homemade spicy Italian sausage, 1 egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, diced onions and celery.
095.jpg

Lightly brushed with a glaze and a heavy does of black pepper. Glaze was just a modified version of Jeff's sauce mixed with some beef broth
096.jpg

Onto the smoker at 225 running hickory
097.jpg

TBS battling the storm clouds
098.jpg

1 hour
099.jpg

2 hours
100.jpg

3 hours and another light coat of the glaze. Almost done at this point
101.jpg

While the meatloaf was cooking I made a batch of beef gravy
102.jpg

And a nice salad with assorted veggies
103.jpg

3 hours 20 minutes and the meatloaf is done
104.jpg

Sliced. Moist, juicy, tender and a nice hint of that elusive smoke ring
105.jpg

Plated with homemade garlic mashed potatoes, salad, and gravy. Time to head out to the patio. This one called for seconds....and thirds.
106.jpg

Close up of the loaf. I'm finally happy with one.
107.jpg

This was fantastic. Without doubt the best I've ever cooked and possibly the best I've ever eaten. Tracy said it was her best ever so I'll take that. I was a bit confused why this one came out so much better than any previous attempts. It was Tracy that enlightened me on why that might have been. Only having done a few of these and not having much experience with them, I've always tried somebody else's recipe. This time I just made it up as I went and shot from the hip. Not taking anything away from anybody else, but this was made the way we like it. As great as the meatloaf was though, the taters and gravy were the star of the show for me.....but I could eat taters and gravy at every meal and never get tired of it. Well, I know this isn't anything spectacular but it felt good to finally nail one and truly enjoy the meatloaf, as well as the rest of the meal.

Y'all take care and happy 4th of July to everybody!! Be safe, cook lots, and remember to stay hydrated while doing all that cooking :emoji_wink:

Robert

I’m looking for a new meatloaf recipe, and this one is simple and sounds delicious. Pics look good.
Could you share the amount of ingredients?
Also, next day meatloaf sammichs are my fav!

Thanks for posting and sharing!
Time to floss!

Reactions: clifish
Great meatloaf Robert. Love smoked meatloaf here. Been a while. thanks for the reminder.

Beautiful Loaf of Life there Robert! About the exact recipe I use from mama, I skip the oregano. Have a safe 4th! RAY

Fantastic looking meat loaf, Robert. It's past time for me to smoke another.

Looks great Robert! Never smoked a meatloaf, that will change. Oh and staying hydrated will not be an issue.

Looks beautiful! But of course it would...there's mashed taters and gravy involved as well! Great job on the meatloaf!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks for posting this. It's been quite awhile since I did smoked meatloaf and I love it. Maybe this next week on my weber

Wow, looks delicious, I love meatloaf. Will have to put that on the schedule, I have never smoked one before.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yum

Awesome looking meatloaf as well as the rest of the meal! My wife and I also love smoked meatloaf! Congrats on your efforts.

Last edited:
Looks great Robert! Never smoked a meatloaf, that will change. Oh and staying hydrated will not be an issue.
You will never cook a meat loaf in the oven again after having a smoked one. It never really crossed my mind to smoke one until I saw it done here at SMF, and I don't think I have had meat loaf any other way but smoked since.

Robert that is just a masterful loaf! I’ve always loved a good meatloaf and I’m sure that one is something I’d have a couple servings of and then a nice cold sandwich with it later.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Excellent my friend, simply excellent. Like you, I wasn't much of a fan of meatloaf growing up and for the same reasons. Not that I've learned enough to be dangerous, I think its better and I always add either hot breakfast sausage or the spicy Italian like you did. But, I've never smoked a meatloaf and after seeing it done by so many on here, it's on the list...

Looks great Robert. I really enjoy smoked meatloaf and make it quite often. Your recipe will given a shot in the near future.

Point for sure
Chris

Putting this in GD because it's a mixed bag of goodies

Never really cared fr meatloaf growing up. That's because my mother just was not a very creative cook: ground beef shaped into a football and slathered with ketchup.
You are spot on with mine moms and wife's meat loaf. Started smoking meat loafs a few years ago and absolutely love them. We will make 3 at a time and freeze two of them. Still can't cover with Ketchup. But Sweet Baby Rays added last 15 minutes as a glaze is awesome.

You nailed that meal!

I’m looking for a new meatloaf recipe, and this one is simple and sounds delicious. Pics look good.
Could you share the amount of ingredients?
Thank you Justin. I wish I could share the amounts but sadly I didn't measure anything or write it down. When I noted "shoot from the hip" I wasn't kidding :emoji_wink: The only amounts I'm sure of are the ground beef, sausage, and the egg.
Great meatloaf Robert. Love smoked meatloaf here. Been a while. thanks for the reminder.
Thank you Dave. After this one I'll be doing more of them.
That’s money, Robert. Looks delicious.
Very much appreciate it sir. This one came out looking nice but got some disappointing news about the ribs yesterday :emoji_disappointed:

Robert

Beautiful Loaf of Life there Robert! About the exact recipe I use from mama, I skip the oregano.
Thank you my friend. Being that I was going with somewhat if an Italian theme, the oregano made sense. Didn't use a lot, just a touch.
Fantastic looking meat loaf, Robert. It's past time for me to smoke another.
Thanks so much Doug. It'd probably been over a year since my last ill fated attempt.
Looks amazing
Thank you sir for the kind words

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky