Issue with dual probes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chapm87

Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Bought a ivation dual meat probe. Put both probes in boiling water and they both reached 216. Not a problem I'm at sea level so always minus 4. My real issue is I set both probes on the top rack and they both read different temps. Right now one say 246 and the other is 280. Is this just because there's different temps inside a smoker or do I have a real issue?

Last edited:
If you switch them around how do they read. My mes will vary by 25 or 30 degrees until it's been cycling for a couple hours but usually not on the same rack. Although front to back is where I see the biggest difference. I test my probes once in a while and they have been good so far so I trust what they tell me

I actually got lucky. They sent a spare probe so I changed the high one out and now both probes are reading the same. Pretty bad that I have to go to a spare probe right out of the box

I actually got lucky. They sent a spare probe so I changed the high one out and now both probes are reading the same. Pretty bad that I have to go to a spare probe right out of the box
good for you. I wouldn't write it off though. Test them all again together and double check. Always nice to have a spare when you need it

I bought the Ivation dual-probe a little over a month ago and after only 3 uses the food probe failed completely.  I contacted the company about it 8 days ago and received a prompt reply apologizing and saying that they'd ship me a free replacement by EOB the next day.  After having still not received it as of 4 pm today (7 calendar days after it was supposed to have shipped) I contacted Ivation support asking about it.  Their response?

"I do apologize about the delay with your request.  I have spoken with the warehouse and this will be shipping out by the end of the day tomorrow."

I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky