Isolationist Chili & CI Grilled Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We were in isolation yesterday for a variety of reasons. First and most obvious is the same reason a bunch of other people are in isolation. Second was the weather. It was just miserable. Cold, windy, and pouring rain all day. Not typical weather for this area this time of year. Decided mid morning after checking the weather forecast for the remainder of the day that a nice pot of chili was in order. I've never been a baker of any sort and have relied on Jiffy cornbread boxed mix. This time I figured I'd give it a run making my own from scratch. Spent a few minutes searching the forum and came across a post from three years ago or so that just looked real good. Copied and pasted it, printed, and set about making cornbread from scratch for the first time. Let's start with the chili since it's gonna cook all day.

A couple weeks ago when I got the two 103 sub primal rib sections, the first thing I did was cut 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the rib tips from both roasts. This was to even out the length of the roasts and because I just wanted the tips for....something. Each set of tips contained 7 bones.

Here they are defrosted
001.jpg

Cut into individual ribs
002.jpg

Braise them in the CI Dutch oven with EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic
003.jpg

Rib tips braised. I cut all the meat off of them and discarded the larger pieces of fat. You can see there is a lot of meat on these things
005.jpg

Had about a quarter pound of pork left from making sausage early this morning so threw that in to braise also
004.jpg

Pork braised
006.jpg

Time to build the chili. I put the pork, the prime rib, and all 7 of the bones back in the Dutch oven and added all ingredients. Wanted the marrow flavor from the bones and it made a great addition to the flavor!! Now it just needs to simmer pretty much all day
008.jpg

Need to get everything ready for the cornbread. Dry ingredients, wet ingredients, jalapenos finely chopped, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese
011.jpg

CI skillets heated on the grill as it was heating up. Running about 375*. Time to put the batter into the skillets
012.jpg

About 10 minutes in the cornbread is looking great!!
013.jpg

Cornbread all done and into the house. Remove from the CI immediately so the bottom does not burn
015.jpg

Money shot. Top chili with cheddar cheese, green onions, and a nice dollop of sour cream. Cornbread on the side and about to receive a copious amount of butter
016.jpg

Close ups
017.jpg

018.jpg

The chili was fantastic!! Several months ago I finally nailed the perfect recipe that we both love. Cornbread was truly stellar!! I followed the directions that were posted to a T with one exception. In that thread our good friend John chilerelleno chilerelleno mentioned letting the skillets heat up before putting the batter in. I followed his advice of course and it was a great way to go for sure. One thing to note though, with the skillets already hot the cornbread cooks WAY faster than the cook time noted in the recipe I stole. Needless to say, I'll never see another box of Jiffy in my pantry. This was easy to make, required very few ingredients, and was by far the best cornbread I've ever had. I'm just kicking myself for getting into that mental rut that I'm not a baker so settled for boxed stuff all my life. Keeping with a recent trend of posting CI cooked food, this one goes out to Steve and Ray ( Steve H Steve H and sawhorseray sawhorseray ) , both of whom have really embraced some of the stupid stuff I've done recently. Being that this entire meal was done in cast iron, I felt it only fitting to share with them...and anybody else who is interested.

That's it for this one,
Robert

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3
Mmm. I love cornbread. And the CI cornbread is high on my list. Not to overlook the chili. Which looks very good. I haven't put veggies in cornbread before. I need to give that a try.

Wow Robert!
My wife won't even allow Jiffy mix in the house. I'm going to have to search for that cornbread recipe. We've always just used the recipe that's on the cornmeal box.
The chili looks outstanding! I can almost smell it...
Amazing what boredom can do. I've never been much of a baker myself (I have a bread machine LOL!), but last week I made an Apple pie from scratch (OK I used pre-made crusts) and surprised myself.
Kudos and a like!
Dan

I'm going to have to search for that cornbread recipe. We've always just used the recipe that's on the cornmeal box.

I have a ton of catching up on this thread so please be patient. I'm about to embark on an epic meal for this evening. Hang tight for a bit Dan and I'll post the recipe and save you from having to go looking for it.

Robert

Great looking bowl of chili, gotta love that homemade cornbread too!!

Looks hearty, delicious and comforting. I’ll take a bowl please!

Mmm. I love cornbread. And the CI cornbread is high on my list.

Thanks Steve. Certainly the chili was good but I imagine you already have a recipe for it you like. The cornbread was the whole idea of the tag. I'll never bake it in the oven again again in Corning Ware, that's for sure.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
No beans in the chili. :emoji_laughing:

That's correct. Real chili isn't supposed to have beans, at least not in my world. The wife likes beans in here so I usually put some in against my better judgement but slipped this one past her :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: DanMcG
Chile and cornbread is one fine meal.
A great big LIKE!

Thank you John. Appreciate it. And thanks also for the tip on heating the skillets before putting the batter in. You could tell immediately when the batter hit that hot skillet it was gonna be good!!

Robert

Yum! Fantastic. Will definitely have to try that cornbread!

The cornbread was fantastic!! Next time though a half batch will do. We didn't come close to eating all of it. Recipe will be posted in a couple minutes.

Robert

Reactions: Teal101
. I'm going to have to search for that cornbread recipe. We've always just used the recipe that's on the cornmeal box.

Alrighty Dan, got my dinner started so here ya go.

Mix dry ingredients together
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 dash (about 1/2 tsp) chile powder (recommend chipotle)
sift this all together into your mixing bowl and set aside.

Mix wet ingredients together

2 eggs beaten
1 cup buttermilk (can also use plain milk or creme but I like buttermilk the best)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

3) Once oven is preheated to 400 degrees, then add the wet ingredients to the dry in the mixing bowl. You don't want to do this before the oven is ready. The baking powder starts to react right away so you want to get it in the preheated oven. Don't let it sit around. Mix with a fork. Don't overdo it. Then put it in the oven. If you're adding jalapeno or other ingredients, do so last once everything is mixed and give a final few stirs with the fork. My way of adding jalapeno is to chop one whole jalapeno with seeds and stem removed. If you like spicier use 2 jalapenos. *important - if using all buttermilk in step 2 then add just a splash of regular milk here to thin the batter just slightly.

4) Pour mix into greased pan of choice. Grease with butter, non stick spray, whatever you like.
Bake for 25 minutes and check it with a toothpick in the middle. When the toothpick comes out without any clumps of batter on it, pull it out. The trick is getting it baked right to that point to have a moist and done cornbread.

Let cool for a few minutes and then brush a glaze of honey on top if you like. Some things to try/experiment with on this recipe are the additives such as corn, jalapeno, bacon, etc. Also the types of milk, buttermilk, heavy creme, half n half, regular milk. You can experiment with the ratio of honey to sugar. I've done all honey, all sugar. I like the half and half but see what you like.

* extra tip -- if you have leftover cornbread, a tasty snack is to slice it into pieces about 1" thick, spread butter on each side and grill in a cast iron pan. Grill until golden brown on each side. These corn bread bites are so evil. Your leftover cornbread will be gone in a flash!

This is a virtual copy and paste from the recipe I found here. I edited it just a bot to shorten it so I could get all the print on one page. Please note also that I followed Chile's advice and heated the skillets prior to putting the batter in. That is not part of the recipe. I also used 1 very large jalapeno finely chopped and about a half cup of cheddar cheese.

Robert

Reactions: Teal101
Great looking bowl of chili, gotta love that homemade cornbread too!!

Looks hearty, delicious and comforting. I’ll take a bowl please!

Thank you for the kind words and you're right on all counts. It was a really great meal for a nasty day and you're in luck. Just so happens we have leftovers....a lot of leftovers so come on down!!

Robert

Alrighty Dan, got my dinner started so here ya go.

Mix dry ingredients together
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 dash (about 1/2 tsp) chile powder (recommend chipotle)
sift this all together into your mixing bowl and set aside.

Mix wet ingredients together

2 eggs beaten
1 cup buttermilk (can also use plain milk or creme but I like buttermilk the best)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

3) Once oven is preheated to 400 degrees, then add the wet ingredients to the dry in the mixing bowl. You don't want to do this before the oven is ready. The baking powder starts to react right away so you want to get it in the preheated oven. Don't let it sit around. Mix with a fork. Don't overdo it. Then put it in the oven. If you're adding jalapeno or other ingredients, do so last once everything is mixed and give a final few stirs with the fork. My way of adding jalapeno is to chop one whole jalapeno with seeds and stem removed. If you like spicier use 2 jalapenos. *important - if using all buttermilk in step 2 then add just a splash of regular milk here to thin the batter just slightly.

4) Pour mix into greased pan of choice. Grease with butter, non stick spray, whatever you like.
Bake for 25 minutes and check it with a toothpick in the middle. When the toothpick comes out without any clumps of batter on it, pull it out. The trick is getting it baked right to that point to have a moist and done cornbread.

Let cool for a few minutes and then brush a glaze of honey on top if you like. Some things to try/experiment with on this recipe are the additives such as corn, jalapeno, bacon, etc. Also the types of milk, buttermilk, heavy creme, half n half, regular milk. You can experiment with the ratio of honey to sugar. I've done all honey, all sugar. I like the half and half but see what you like.

* extra tip -- if you have leftover cornbread, a tasty snack is to slice it into pieces about 1" thick, spread butter on each side and grill in a cast iron pan. Grill until golden brown on each side. These corn bread bites are so evil. Your leftover cornbread will be gone in a flash!

This is a virtual copy and paste from the recipe I found here. I edited it just a bot to shorten it so I could get all the print on one page. Please note also that I followed Chile's advice and heated the skillets prior to putting the batter in. That is not part of the recipe. I also used 1 very large jalapeno finely chopped and about a half cup of cheddar cheese.

Robert
Thank you for your time and effort, Robert!

Thank you for your time and effort, Robert!

You are more than welcome sir. Always a pleasure to share something somebody else may enjoy...just like the person who originally posted the recipe I stole from him :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky