Is there a guide on how to smoke beef ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

english-bulldog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
I've cooked a few racks already, for 8hrs, the meat fell off of the bone!

But I just seasoned the ribs, then stuck em in for 8hrs, and feed wood chips every hr.

Then ends came out a bit dry, but the middle was SOO good.

But I read the 3-2-1 steps for spare ribs, then the 2-2-1 for baby back.

Should I be wrapping the beef ribs with foil after the 3rd hr?

Thanks.

Depends on the cut of ribs?

Short / cross cut  ribs can pretty much be smoked to  touch.

Back ribs can be foiled if you so desire. i usually just cook them till they are tender.

i smoke em at around 230°

I just did my best beef ribs to date and I treated them like I do my spares 3 2 1. I foiled with beer and they were ridiculously good. I don't have a whole lot of experience with them and I'm sure the Bear can throw his hat into the ring and help you better than I can! BTW are you talking about short ribs or beef back ribs?

Last edited:
Alright, I turned up my temp to 230 from 220.

thanks.

I have no idea what cut they are.

they are long, the bones is about 10" long.

Depends on the cut of ribs?

Short / cross cut  ribs can pretty much be smoked to  touch.

Back ribs can be foiled if you so desire. i usually just cook them till they are tender.

i smoke em at around 230°

I think they are beef back ribs.  10" bone.

I will try the 3-2-1.

So...

Smoke em for 3hrs

Foil em up for 2hrs

Take off foil for last 1hr, smoke is optional.   (I will smoke again.)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

I just did my best beef ribs to date and I treated them like I do my spares 3 2 1. I foiled with beer and they were ridiculously good. I don't have a whole lot of experience with them and I'm sure the Bear can throw his hat into the ring and help you better than I can! BTW are you talking about short ribs or beef back ribs?

Well are the bones about 1 1/2" wide and about 8-10" long??? I think that you have long short ribs. If they are like theses then you have long/short ribs then.

So if you have the regular beef ribs you can smoke then with the 3-2-1 method and they willbe fine. But if you have the long bone ribs I would smoke them to about 205° like a brisket and theywill be really yummO

Then theses are regular beef ribs

Theses are regular beef ribs. 

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Ok let me fix things here. Theses are

the long bone beef ribs and theses

are the regular beef ribs.

Now thats we are straight with type we can smoke some ribs. Now the beef ribs can be smoked using the 3-2-1 method and you'll be fine. But the long bone ribs to me need to be smoked by temp not time. After all you are smoking an larger hunk of meat so I smoke them almost like a brisket and they have came out really good

see you have a large chunk of meat with the long bone ribs hense the name "Dino Bones"

I hope I helped you because I almost screwed this whole thing up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am going to use a beer.

Do I pour the beer over the meat, or at the bottom of the foil?

Thanks.

Wow guys, they are VERY good.

Way way better than the ribs I cooked for 8hrs the other day.

My mom could not wait, she wanted a rib after I took them out of the foil, the meat was VERY tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky