Is Sams worth it anymore?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Alabama (near Auburn)
Over the weekend I grilled some chicken breasts from Sams. I didn't smoke them, it was on a standard gas grill. I had them in a marinade for over 2 days. This is probably the 3rd time I noticed when buying chicken breasts at Sams is 1) they are huge...I mean really huge and 2) they come out tough.

So the hungry kid in me likes the bigger size but I feel that the chicken is just not good quality or they are too big or something b/c I get much better chicken at the local stores.

Also, I haven't price checked but doesn't seem like Sams is as much of a savings as they were.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with Sams?

Tough chicken breasts? Nah not possible! HA HA .....I have to inject mine wherever I go. And if these are boneless, man those will be dry for sure.

We just dropped Sams since we were paying for both Sams and Costco. I feel like the quality of meat is better at Costco and they have a better selection. Everytime I would get chicken from same I had to do a lot of trimming and the bird always came out rubbery no matter how I cooked it.

Reactions: banderson7474
I still like the beef but I think I'm done buying the ostrich sized chicken breasts from them. Yea they were boneless skinless but I just grilled some a week ago from local store and they came out probably the best I've ever made them.

We just dropped Sams since we were paying for both Sams and Costco. I feel like the quality of meat is better at Costco and they have a better selection. Everytime I would get chicken from same I had to do a lot of trimming and the bird always came out rubbery no matter how I cooked it.
That's enough for me to stop buying it from them. Unfortunately, we don't have a costcos near us.

I have a hard time trusting anything that has to do with Walmart, I will buy from anywhere else before going there. They had just remolded our Sams and it had a really nice meat counter but the prices seemed to be really high. I just like the fact that Costco cuts most of their meat and packages it at their store and I know I am buying quality items and they will stand behind their products.

I've never had an issue with the chicken or any other meat from Sam's. In fact, it seems to be a bit higher quality than my local market. The boneless breasts are very large. I will definitely testify to that. As far as them being tough or dry that just hasn't been the case for me.

George

That's enough for me to stop buying it from them. Unfortunately, we don't have a costcos near us.

I know its like 45 min to an hour away but east Montgomery has a pretty nice costco. We used to live there and frequented it alot. Might be worth the trip just to load up the freezer.

Well, I donno.
Your smileage may vary.
But where I usually live, Sam's is by far an easier store to get in and out of than Costco.
To me, meats meat and I'm careful what I grab. But like most, I find what I like and stick with it.
So from my standpoint, I'd rather do a Sam's run, than to stand in the long lines at our over sold Costco.
I will say anytime I've had a brain fart and bought any meat at our Super Walmart it has turned bad really soon, or is a major disappointment.
One son and his wife always shop at Wally World, and they throw away more meat than we eat. No savings in doing that.

We don't go to Sam's much any more, Costco, Publix and local butcher shop.

Don't know about their chicken, but do know that oversized, growth hormone fed birds aren't prime eating.
I found I like Bell and Evans chicken, if it's available in your area.

i will not buy from Sams. the meat i get from Sams always seems to be off and i have had to return 8 packages of meat that i just got home with and it was bad. you could smell it was bad even tho the package was not "blown" up from the meat going bad. i do better at the local market.

I get that Sonny, ours is the exact opposite. Sams is a ZOO compared to our local Costcos, but that may be because we have 2 Costcos within about 10 miles of eachother.

Krogers is near us and probably my favorite grocery store. I like Publix and Win Dixie too. We have a Fresh Market about 45 mins away and I fall in love with the meat section everytime I go there but I don't go that often. Prices are pretty high there.

I haven't had any bad experiences with wallmart except for the standard meatless beef ribs in the vacuum packs.

I've not been a Sam's member for probably 20 years, but have experienced similar impressions with Costco, with whom I've been a member since they were known as Price Club on the West Coast. Winco, a West Coast grocery chain with no membership fees, has similar issues to Sam's with their chicken breasts. The only solution I've found is to use a Jaccard meat tenderizer and brine the breasts for 24-48 hours. It helps, but it isn't perfect.

There's a reason for chicken tasting and feeling that way. It is an issue called "Woody Breast Syndrome," caused by factory raised, supersized chickens. Although it is supposed to impact just a small part of the poultry business, the discount chains and superstores are obviously buying it up because it is cheap. If that's where you shop, like me, that's what you get.

Reactions: banderson7474
I agree and I disagree if that makes since. Chicken at our Sam's is from local producers but they are growing 9 week chickens instead of the 7 week they use to. Doesn't make since because of the food cost to raise that 9 week chicken compared to the 7 week chicken. have no issues with buying pork at sam's they always seem to have the best price. Beef is a hit and miss item.

Warren

Interesting thread.
I haven't had a problem with any of the meat I have bought at Sam's.
And I just dropped my Costco membership, cause they didn't have much to choose from, and their prices were always higher. Most of the time I wait until meat is on sale at Publix, they have very high quality meat. I just buy what ever is on sale at the time, or if I'm looking for a particular item, I just wait. It all goes on sale sometime, they just rotate the sales.
Al

Reactions: SlickRockStones
Support your local independent butcher.The best chicken I have ever eaten has been raised/sold by the Amish.Sometimes live and they process it for you for you while you watch for a couple bucks more (no brainer).I realize that the Amish aren't everywhere but if you try to stick to local for all your meats you're better off.
I've been a member since they were known as Price Club
Me too,but here on the East coast.Showing our age my friend :D

I will agree about the over sized chicken breast, it's not worth buying them. I have used a jaccard meat tenderizer and it helps, but I'd rather find smaller breast. Those big beastly breast are tough and tasteless.
The only good thing about Sam's is the ones near me are much less crowded than Costco. The customer service at Sam's / Walmart needs serious help. When my Sam's membership runs out I will not be renewing it.

Last edited:
No problem with the meat from the local Sam’s in Pork Char-a-lot, Fl. I do like Costco in Searasota. You can see into the meat cutting and food prep areas unlike Sam’s that is behind closed doors. I also really don’t like the huge rooster breasts so I like to filet them in half so they’re not so thick. I’m with SmokinAl and agree that Publix has excellent meat. Winn Dixie is right behind and both have great sales so there’s always good buys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky