Is my brisket going to get freezer burn?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So I went and bought a prime brisket from costco last night. All was fine but in my transporting it home there must a been a tiny whole punctured in the cryovac pack. Since I am not smoking it until super bowl sunday I had to freeze it. I woke up this morning and there was frost on the brisket although still in the package. I ran cold water over the package to eliminate the frost, and took it out of the package. I attempted to wrap it tight in plastic wrap but it was nearly impossible as it was frozen. The best I could do was wrap it as tight as I could in foil and then back in the freezer. I will be taking it out next wednesday to thaw for trim and injection saturday evening. Will it be fine for the next 6 days in the freezer or should I be worried? Thanks!!

No that's fine. Won't be long enough to burn it. You didn't say how much it weighs but keep in mind it's gonna take several days to thaw in a refrigerator

Reactions: texomakid
No that's fine. Won't be long enough to burn it. You didn't say how much it weighs but keep in mind it's gonna take several days to thaw in a refrigerator
Thanks! That is what I figured but needed some reassurance. I covet my meat and would be less than thrilled if my 17 lb. brisket was damaged. I am taking it out Wednesday morning because I figured it would be thawed by Saturday evening.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Might want to give it more time than that depending just how rock frozen it is. Regardless won’t hurt if it dethaws a day or 2 early.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky