Is a Snack Stick a Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Not sure, but I'll hang it here. Please move if there is a more appropriate place.

So, finally several things came together yesterday, and I finally got brave enough today to jump in.
I was happy things worked fine for my first attempt.
I ground my pork with the biggest plate in my grinder. It was about a 3/8", elongated hole plate. Made nice course ground Pork.
I was following Disco's recipe for this first attempt. ...Well, loosely.
I didn't have some of the things, so I either substituted, or skipped over.
My rendition smells good, and it looked passable, and it stuffed OK...
I made my ropes entirely on the KA (KitchenAid) with the meat grinder/stuffer, 1/2" stuffer horn, And found I could control the feed by pushing the meat, or not pushing the meat, without starting/stopping the KA.
At first, I undid the Collagen casing onto the horn. When the horn was full, I cut the casing and began stuffing by twisting the end shut when the mixture emerged. That was when I found if I stopped bearing down on the feed, the meat stopped stuffing.
Oddly enough, and to my delight, no air bubbles seemed to form in the casing.
When I ran out of the first casing load I decided to try a left turn.
I took enough casing to cover the stuffer horn, but instead of unraveling it, I slid it on as it had come out of the package. Then, when I had meat coming out, twisted the end to close the casing and tried letting the emerging meat drag the casing off as it filled the casing. No holding, as it unraveled the casing and made filled casing.

SS1.jpg

I loaded up a 1/4 sheet sized pan with the ropes of Snack Sticks I'd made.
SS2.jpg

After I got the ropes stuffed, I made sticks out of the ropes. I twisted the first one, then twisted every other one making ~6" sticks.
SS3.jpg

At that point, they are put back on a clean sheet pan and returned to the fridge for an overnight stay to let the meat rest and flavors marry.

Tomorrow... we smoke'em!

They look good Sunny, I'll be available for taste testing purposes this weekend.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: sound1 and SonnyE
They look good Sunny, I'll be available for taste testing purposes this weekend.

Point for sure.
Chris
Come on over, Chris! Can't guarantee the taste, but they do smell good.

Looking mighty good!
Thanks Sarge! I was pleasantly surprised how they came out.

Whatever you call them, they look good! Nice job.
Thanks! I haven't gotten any throw back recipes here on SMF yet.

I'm looking forward to the finished Snack Sticks.

Reactions: wbf610
You did well. Never would have guessed it was your first time. If they taste as good as they look and as good as you say they smell. you will back doing this in nothing flat. Like

Reactions: SonnyE
Sonny that looks fantastic. Cant wait to give that a try some day
Most definately do, if you like Snack Sticks. I was really pleased how easily it went for me. But a stuffer, I think, would really make it easier. (I'll know in a month or so...)

You did well. Never would have guessed it was your first time. If they taste as good as they look and as good as you say they smell. you will back doing this in nothing flat. Like
Going into the smoker today. Should know by this afternoon.

Looks real good Sonny!
Al
Thanks Al! You love your pickles, (So do I), I love these meat sticks. I wonder about Pickled Snack Sticks?

Thanks Guys! And Thanks to Disco for his recipe.

Just an Update...
All's going well with the smoking/ramping.
This is also giving me the chance to test and compare 3 Thermometers.
So far, the newest Inkbird is winning favor with its LCD display, and 4 reads displayed at the same time.
And a count down timer to keep me honest about checking.
Still a lot to learn about it though.

SS Smoking.jpg

Thank Goodness today is clear.
Yesterday, Rain.
Tomorrow thru Monday, Rain.

Reactions: gmc2003
Sonny they look good,nice job on the stuffing.
now ya need a rack to hang them LOL
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/sausage-jerky-rack-mes40-w-step-by-step.174140/

You can hang a lot of sticks or jerky on that rack
Richie

Thanks Richie!
Looks like a perfect solution.
I had the ropes hanging from my bacon hooks (Just draped) But didn't like how close together they came out.
So I used my mats and layed them out that way for now.
But I much prefer to hang meat when smoking, if I can.
I have everything but the dowel rods on hand.
Thanks for the link!

I'll trade rain for snow any day. Just settled down after finishing the honey-do list for the day. I'm a watching Sonny.

Chris

Thanks Guys!
Done!
I took them straight from the smoker into a pot of Ice Water (with ice).
Bada Boom, Bada Bing!
Then put on one of my racks to set at room temperature before separating and bagging up for the fridge.
They taste very good, but not great.
My errors include several changes to the recipe, omissions, and wrong meat.
I used a pound of my Buckboard Bacon I felt was too salty. So the sticks are salty.
I use ground mustard, instead of Mustard Seed.
I left out Fennel Seed.
And I subbed Tabasco for Sriracha, then found my danged bottle in the back of the fridge later. :emoji_angry:
But, in spite of myself, they came out edible. And even my dog likes them. (But, he licks his butt, too.)
The casing is kinda loose, but still bites off OK. This 'failure' I think is due to not having a proper stuffer to compress the mixture well.

I'm calling it a success, with room for improvement on my part.
And now, Boston Butts are on sale through next Friday. So I'm going to get ready with a couple, and some lean Ground beef for future stuffings.
I'm hooked.... :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

I don't think they are going to last long enough to Vacuum Seal any.

SS Done 1.jpg

Quart Ziploc Bag.

SS Done 2.jpg

Chomp! Going Fast....

And a Shout Out of Thanks and Praise to Disco who was right there with me via conversation here on SMF.
Thank You Disco!
https://oldfatguy.ca/?p=5910

Last edited:
Many likes on this one Sonny. They look great to me.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!
This was a big plunge for me.
And it isn't done yet, the stuffer is coming later.
But, the wife liked what I was doing. :emoji_astonished: I almost fell over!

I think with a few basics followed, many varieties could be experimented with.

I need to Build a "Richie's Rack" for hanging my sausage ropes. I think that will perfect the MES projects.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!
Done!
I took them straight from the smoker into a pot of Ice Water (with ice).
Bada Boom, Bada Bing!
Then put on one of my racks to set at room temperature before separating and bagging up for the fridge.
They taste very good, but not great.
My errors include several changes to the recipe, omissions, and wrong meat.
I used a pound of my Buckboard Bacon I felt was too salty. So the sticks are salty.
I use ground mustard, instead of Mustard Seed.
I left out Fennel Seed.
And I subbed Tabasco for Sriracha, then found my danged bottle in the back of the fridge later. :emoji_angry:
But, in spite of myself, they came out edible. And even my dog likes them. (But, he licks his butt, too.)
The casing is kinda loose, but still bites off OK. This 'failure' I think is due to not having a proper stuffer to compress the mixture well.

I'm calling it a success, with room for improvement on my part.
And now, Boston Butts are on sale through next Friday. So I'm going to get ready with a couple, and some lean Ground beef for future stuffings.
I'm hooked.... :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

I don't think they are going to last long enough to Vacuum Seal any.

View attachment 386974
Quart Ziploc Bag.

View attachment 386975

Chomp! Going Fast....

And a Shout Out of Thanks and Praise to Disco who was right there with me via conversation here on SMF.
Thank You Disco!
https://oldfatguy.ca/?p=5910

Looks great, Sonny but, yeah, I think you would do better with pork over the cured bacon. Big like for a great start!

Just an Update...
All's going well with the smoking/ramping.
This is also giving me the chance to test and compare 3 Thermometers.
So far, the newest Inkbird is winning favor with its LCD display, and 4 reads displayed at the same time.
And a count down timer to keep me honest about checking.
Still a lot to learn about it though.

View attachment 386924

Thank Goodness today is clear.
Yesterday, Rain.
Tomorrow thru Monday, Rain.

Thanks for sharing all of this Sonny. What temp and for how long did you smoke the sticks?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky