Is a nice Bark possible with an Old Smokey?!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello.  I MUST agree with my friend Foamheart on this one.  You didn't say it was electric in the OP.  That electric, is as stated, a totally different animal.  I doubt the changes you plan will give you the results you want ( just my opinion ).  Electrics like those are meant to operate in a certain way.  NOW, I did read somewhere about putting kitty litter or similar in the bottom of the Electric Old Smokey to absorb moisture but I dismissed it as I thought that would be a horrible taste to your final product.  I can't remember where I read it but you could start on the Old Smokey website and the Google if you want to read what folks say about that.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

The kitty litter is to suck up moisture, but it's main purpose is to catch any falling grease and stuff like that to help keep the bottom of the smoker clean. You use the odorless kind, so it doesn't effect anything. 

I'm going to try it the way I described. I'll smoke closed for 3-4 hours depending on how the temp goes, and then I'll crack the lid and let it ride to finish with it foiled (open top though) and in a pan to attempt a bark. If it doesn't work, I'm still sure to have a good piece of smoked meat regardless.

NOW, I did read somewhere about putting kitty litter or similar in the bottom of the Electric Old Smokey to absorb moisture but I dismissed it as I thought that would be a horrible taste to your final product.

Danny
Its a grease absorbent;  http://www.oldsmokey.com/products/grease-absorbent-for-electric-smoker.

With the electric the unit is so tight that the moisture has no where to escape. I have used the absorbent on one of the three I had/have and saw no really note worthy change in the meat or the rust. All three completely rusted the bottom out . Only had to change one heating element, but.........  The bottom trusting out is the weakest spot. I have one in the barn, one on the porch, and one on the front porch, none have a bottom.....LOL

Back to the post. I see no reason that you could not adapt a mod to make the Old Smokey work as you want. You will not be able to use it again as intended after your mod. though. Modding will be a bit more difficult because it a round body. No flat surface. Because of that, I would look at installing adjustable vent on the bottom, and the same on the top. Then you would have to extend the screws which hold the second grate and make longer to hold the drip pan. Once you've moved the drip pan up one you could use the second grate on the drip pan screws, and set an AMPs on it. I have not done measuring, but that would be how I would approach what you want to do. AND the benefit is if done this way you could close off the vents and go back to the original configuration and use the chips again.

Remember you can steam with this smoker until you change it. BTW, if you are completely redesigning/re-engineering, why not go with a blank slate and build one large enough to suit your needs?

Anyway, that's my take on this smokers conversion. Hope it helps some. Me I'd just buy one of those MES40s I read on the thread are selling for 1/2 price and have one big enough to put whole meats in.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky