Is 2 butts enough?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorboat40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Crozet, VA
Having a Graduation party for my daughter this Saturday I have 2 butts thawing in the fridge a 9 1/2 lb and a 8 a 1/4 lb. About 20 people for sure coming but another 10bish I haven't got a confirmation on. My cousins 5 kids that I haven't heard from could probably a whole butt by themselves lol just wondering if I should pull out a 3 rd butt?:what do yall think ? I always end up making way more than I need. Figure the 2 butts will give me 14 to 15lbs of pork after its smoked and pulled.

I agree with Ray up there^^^^^! Better to have a little too much than the embarrassment of not having enough, it won't go to waste. RAY

Agree. Need a 3rd for the anticipation of 30 folk. Worst case you have some left for the freezer.....better than not having enough to feed them all adequately

I'm coming up with ~32 portions. It's always better to have more, but sides can influence that. And, with 30 people, I would have some clamshell boxes on hand just in case there are leftovers.

For some of the larger cooks I do, some beer steamed and smoked hot dogs are wonderful for the kiddies. (and are delicious). A roaster or crock pot of sloppy Joe's (and I have an adult recipe I'll share) is inexpensive and actually quite good.

The best advice is to have the meat at the END of the serving line. Not to sound selfish, but allow your guests to get some things on the plate first..... then add the meat.

Reactions: Motorboat40
If it sandwiches I go 4 people per pound and if I use bone-in I lose about half. If it ain't for sandwiches and they are all grown folk I figure 2 people a pound.

Reactions: Motorboat40
Thanks for the advice guys I pulled out the 3rd butt and maybe 30 mins or and hour later my cousin finally got back to me that they wouldn't be able to come. So since it was still frozen solid I put it back in the freezer since now my numbers are around 20 people and we will have lots of sides. My cousins kids love my pork and I'm not kidding when I say I think the 5 of them could eat a whole butt those kids can eat! Ill make a new post Friday night when I start smoking them. Party is at 3pm so I'm starting them the night before and thanks to my inkbird I can set alarms for my pit if the temps go high or low it is loud enough it wakes me up,so i can get some sleep overnight.

I'm coming up with ~32 portions. It's always better to have more, but sides can influence that. And, with 30 people, I would have some clamshell boxes on hand just in case there are leftovers.

For some of the larger cooks I do, some beer steamed and smoked hot dogs are wonderful for the kiddies. (and are delicious). A roaster or crock pot of sloppy Joe's (and I have an adult recipe I'll share) is inexpensive and actually quite good.

The best advice is to have the meat at the END of the serving line. Not to sound selfish, but allow your guests to get some things on the plate first..... then add the meat.
Yep that sounds good to put the side all before the pork. I already planned to have some hotdogs too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky