Ironbark smoked chicken pieces

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Straya Smoker

Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
Hervey Bay qld Australia
Hi guys,
So I decided to smoke some chicken for dinner I normally smoke my chicken with apple and cherry, but this time I thought I would have a go at an Australian native Ironbark this time. Brined the chicken over night then marinated them for the day, will find out soon how the ironbark pairs with the chicken as I’ve only used it with pork before.

Just in the smoker
A5A84F19-B84D-4643-B73C-B572913879F7.jpeg

I heard Ironbark is a good wood. Let us know how it is...I doubt those of us out side of Australia will ever get a chance to try :)

Finished product the kids and mrs gave this the thumbs up. I prefer the smoke from the ironbark to the apple and cherry has a slightly stronger profile, maybe similar to hickory but not as strong. Not to sure how you would explain the flavour of the ironbark other then what I have just mentioned, now to try a brisket using it.
3FF6523F-DA1D-460B-814A-35877C56C3FF.jpeg

I’m just getting started making a smoker and wondered what native woods are good for smoking, be interested to see how it goes.
Hi Clive maybe this may help you out a bit as I’ve only used so far ironbark which is similar to hickory but not as strong, banksia don’t really know what to compare it to, black wattle which has a strong flavour like mesquite and yellow stringybark which has a really subtle smoke flavour to it.
1DBBF3ED-D3A9-4386-827D-9BF353D2ECEC.jpeg

Thanks, I’ll print this off. I have just started making one, welded up the firebox yesterday, stuffed up the door by cutting the airvent upside down so I’ll have to do that again. Using stainless beer keg for cooker.
All new to me.

Reactions: Straya Smoker
Thanks, I’ll print this off. I have just started making one, welded up the firebox yesterday, stuffed up the door by cutting the airvent upside down so I’ll have to do that again. Using stainless beer keg for cooker.
All new to me.
Sounds like it should be good the stainless keg should hold the heat well. I was to lazy to make my own smoker for my first one so I got a 2 door hark gas smoker, also welding all day for a living doesn’t really make me get excited to do it on days off. One day in the future I would like to make my own offset using a receiver for an air compressor as the cooking chamber nice thick walls to hold temps.

Nice looking chicken there. reason for no sauce?

Warren
Do you mean like a dipping sauce or finishing sauce etc? I grew up with just marinating them was enough, I guess this would come down to a culture based thing as growing up they would have just been cooked in the oven or on the bbq (gas grill). Could you suggest a sauce or way I could do it differently? Thanks for the like and look forward to hearing your opinions.
Dan
That is some good looking chicken!
Nicely done!
Al
Thanks Al,
Still new to this smoking thing it’s becoming to be quite addictive lol. Thanks for the like.
Dan

Sounds like it should be good the stainless keg should hold the heat well. I was to lazy to make my own smoker for my first one so I got a 2 door hark gas smoker, also welding all day for a living doesn’t really make me get excited to do it on days off. One day in the future I would like to make my own offset using a receiver for an air compressor as the cooking chamber nice thick walls to hold temps.
I’m retired, so quite happy to spend a few hours welding.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky