Introducing the Smoked Pork Wellington!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s a pretty good looking pork wellington. I never had a welllington of any sort. I really like how that pastry looks scored and cooked.

That looks just great and I really like your idea for the lattice pattern. This is going on my holiday meal list for sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

When I grind pork butts I save the money muscle end roast (aka Coppa roast) and I have 3 or 4 in the freezer right now. They are in the 2# range and would be perfect for this. Here is a visual of what the MM roast looks like. The slices are fork tender when cooked correctly.

4bXd8SB.jpg
5BCq3gF.jpg

Reactions: Fueling Around
That’s a pretty good looking pork wellington. I never had a welllington of any sort. I really like how that pastry looks scored and cooked.
Thanks XR. Its sure a different way of cooking, but I like the crispy pastry with the meat and sauce. It just makes a nice texture in one bite! The scoring really helps dress it up, but I get in a hurry and don't get it even....

You are killing me Dad. That looks amazing!!!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Any time boy....lol thanks Fork!

Great idea. And it looks delicious!!
Gary
Many thanks Gary!

That looks just great and I really like your idea for the lattice pattern. This is going on my holiday meal list for sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

When I grind pork butts I save the money muscle end roast (aka Coppa roast) and I have 3 or 4 in the freezer right now. They are in the 2# range and would be perfect for this. Here is a visual of what the MM roast looks like. The slices are fork tender when cooked correctly.

View attachment 468422
View attachment 468423

Thanks Thirdeye! Its a fun cook that would be perfect for a holiday party. IE make them up before hand and then its just the egg wash, score, and put them in the oven....It would make you look like a genius to have it come out of the oven in 30 min.

Also saving the "money muscle" from the shoulder would be perfect! You can also get lattice cutters that will score a pastry sheet to make a raised lattice when stretched out. This is what many high end places do. It does add more work though, which means I'll probably be doing it in the future.... LOL

Here is the finishing sauce I used. It has a kick to it but the rich meat really tempers it and goes really well. This stuff would be good in pulled pork as well.

2C apple cider vinegar
1C ketchup, Reserve liquid from pan smoke
¾ C brown sugar
2 tbs chili powder, Dijon, honey
1 tbs salt, pepper, Korean chili flakes
1 tsp dry mustard

Reduced by 1/3 and adjusted for salt and sweetness

Last edited:
Here is the finishing sauce I used. It has a kick to it but the rich meat really tempers it and goes really well. This stuff would be good in pulled port as well.

2C apple cider vinegar
1C ketchup, Reserve liquid from pan smoke
¾ C brown sugar
2 tbs chili powder, Dijon, honey
1 tbs salt, pepper, Korean chili flakes
1 tsp dry mustard

Reduced by 1/3 and adjusted for salt and sweetness
So, a Western Carolina Lexington sauce, I bet that is a good fit. How sweet is the back-flavor?

So, a Western Carolina Lexington sauce, I bet that is a good fit. How sweet is the back-flavor?

Yes a on the Western Carolina Lexington sauce. It's not very sweet, as the apple cider I used is very strong natural stuff. The reserves are just rich so it just adds depth. So it still has a kick by itself but not too much as you can still take a taste with a spoon. So a little goes a long ways. You could use less sugar and reduce more but then it might get too thick.....

PS Gordon's blackberry sauce for his beef welly is way strong too (in a tart way with a hint of sweet), so I was aiming for a similar strong vinegar tart with a hint of sweet... The slaw being vinegar based has a similar but lighter tart with a hint of sweet. Its complement is the mayo cools but blends well with the sauce, IE complementary flavors. The barrel pickles were imports from Germany (Hengstenberg brand) but they are mid-sweet (but not sweet like the mini gherkins), and tomatoes were the palate cleanser...

Just wow!! That is amazing! Great post. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Jax! Just mixing it up a bit!

Dude... I'm constantly in enthralled with your cooks.
This is a delicious looking twist on the Wellington and it looks simply scrumptious.
And you sir, do it justice with the plating and pics.
Bravo sir, bravo!
Many thanks Sir! It’s a magical combination!

IH 1026 IH 1026 thanks for the like!

Oh some more pics of round two......

First off all the second day seemed as easy as a frozen pizza night....dinner in 40 mins.

My daughter sent this pic from her college apartment......her roommates just stared at her like she was from mars or something....she just said....this is called earning your masters in food eating....lol.
D8316A6B-2B42-4337-B38B-8F64CDD19A8B.jpeg

tonight I experimented with some finer score lines just to see how it would turn out.
9B51DF00-8E0C-4EC8-9D1E-1CFC0CE07D0A.jpeg

on it goes......this time I put it on an elevated rack cause the first ones got darker than desired on the bottom. The pellet defuser plate is hot at 425.
21130C70-6B56-4620-9A14-5CAAE1FB4916.jpeg

Mid cook just before the 180 turn....
82F91AD6-01AB-4DF1-855E-6915F8DBC43D.jpeg

bingo 31 mins.... the raising up did the trick but not a fan of the finer cuts, prefer the lattice cuts but it still looks good
00AF6902-F812-4AAB-8083-538EC8B89940.jpeg

Slice 1....this one had a role of shoulder and it held together nicely. I think the overnight in the fridge really helped it set.
27976057-FDDD-450C-A2B0-07B739E8565B.jpeg

4 slices, yes it sliced much better then the others! The pastry was very crisp!
87956583-5C7C-4F9E-A039-A3A84D6DD464.jpeg

so I thought I’d would try the looks of a round plate.....still looks tasty to me!
CCD3280A-D226-447A-AC72-5C1047078FC8.jpeg

ok I have to admit, I really like thirdeyes idea of a holiday party with these. It would be a killer meal that bbq folks would be surprised and rewarded!
32F3E8AC-8A53-4917-BEF4-860A40040845.jpeg

thanks to all for sharing in my crazed addiction with the welly! It has been really fun cooking from a different perspective, it helps feel more normal these days!

My daughter sent this pic from her college apartment......her roommates just stared at her like she was from mars or something....she just said....this is called earning your masters in food eating....lol.
View attachment 468480

LOL
Her apartment mates should have recognized it as resembling the freezer food fed to school kids these days. No offense to your food,

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Not done yet... I know this has to be much tastier than the traditional beef tenderloin.
Lets face it, the tenderloin is overrated flavor wise, it's all about tenderness.
It relies heavily on the accompanying layers for it's savoriness and fatty richness.

But that pork, heck yeah, it's all about flavor and has to be an improvement.
After all it can stand alone and shine as the star of any meal.

This is definitely on my short list of recipes.

Reactions: thirdeye
Yeah that looks awesome! Delicious and just as good as the first night. Great job!

Dang brother! You have stepped up the challenge with this Welly! Got my wheels churning.
Jim

The second one looks just as good as the first! Love the pic from your daughter and the story! Not sure i will ever try making one but sure do look forward to those posts from some that do.
Very nicely done again!

Ryan

LOL
Her apartment mates should have recognized it as resembling the freezer food fed to school kids these days. No offense to your food,
LOL, at least she knows better, she grew knowing what "real" food is!

Not done yet... I know this has to be much tastier than the traditional beef tenderloin.
Lets face it, the tenderloin is overrated flavor wise, it's all about tenderness.
It relies heavily on the accompanying layers for it's savoriness and fatty richness.

But that pork, heck yeah, it's all about flavor and has to be an improvement.
After all it can stand alone and shine as the star of any meal.

This is definitely on my short list of recipes.
chiler, you are right the beef welly needs the sauce and other things to make the flavor and YES the pulled pork is full of flavor. My daughter liked it much better than the beef! The thing I noticed is the beef needs a knife and is harder to cut than the pastry, BUT the pork is fork tender and easier to cut (pulled pork fork tender) than the pastry. It just melts in your mouth like when you are pulling a shoulder and you are taste testing. To me the pork retained that fresh pulled flavor and texture which is when it is at its best in my book!

Yeah that looks awesome! Delicious and just as good as the first night. Great job!
Thanks again MJB!

Dang brother! You have stepped up the challenge with this Welly! Got my wheels churning.
Jim
:-) JL, got to keep it real for sure! I have two other recipes already mapped out, just need time to execute them!

The second one looks just as good as the first! Love the pic from your daughter and the story! Not sure i will ever try making one but sure do look forward to those posts from some that do.
Very nicely done again!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! I can say they take a little patience to do but they are a fun creation for sure! I will also do my best to have some more for ya! It was pretty funny living my daughters story via text message as she was experiencing it. Emotion can come through a text.....LOL

Correctamundo.... That is the nature of the beast when eating muscles that are not working muscles. Same goes for the inside and outside loins on a hog.

The old expression "we're eatin' high on the hog" meant the tender cuts, not the flavorful (and harder to cook) cuts closer to the ground..., same with a steer.
Whoever popularized wrapping bacon around a fillet mignon and serving it with deglazed pan sauce was a genius. I love fillets, but I inject them, or marinate in an a beefy concoction.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky