Internal temp for country rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paulie Walnuts 440

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hey all just wanted to get some input on internal temps for country ribs, these look like they were cut from the front of the loin with more rib bone in them if I'm correct on the location of the cut as I see there are cuts some butcher's do from the butt or shoulder.

If they have a lot of Loin meat, then an IT of 145 is plenty. Of course you can take them to Pull Apart, 205, if desired. I would go to 145 and sample the Dark meat for tenderness. Then decide...JJ

0020156700000_1_A1C1_1200.png

I should have posted initially and I've been running around 275 degrees.

Attachments

• 20210128_124234.jpg
    20210128_124234.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 47
Agree with Jake . Some have more loin , some are more from the shoulder .

Ive cooked them till they are tender, dont recall temp, go by feel on those, unless Im doing them on the grill. Ive had what looks like in Jimmy's post, ever since I was a kid, one of my favorite cuts of meat.

When I get the loin country style ribs, they have a little of the back rib still attached. I probe for tenderness around the bones, the rest takes care of itself.... but I do inject.
fnQQwE4.jpg

I agree with JJ.
However when I get them, I try to get the ones with "Bone-in" because it seems you have a better chance of them being from the shoulder if it includes bones, and that should give you more Fat & more tender meat.
Then I go for 145° to 150° Internal Temp.
Anything much higher tends to dry out pretty bad.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I agree with JJ.
However when I get them, I try to get the ones with "Bone-in" because it seems you have a better chance of them being from the shoulder if it includes bones, and that should give you more Fat & more tender meat.
Then I go for 145° to 150° Internal Temp.
Anything much higher tends to dry out pretty bad.

Bear

0qNlAcx.jpg
The shoulder country style ribs I get are strips of a pork butt. Like a pork steak, only thicker and narrower. Once the blade bone runs out, they call them boneless country style ribs. But I have to cook them way higher temp that 150°, more like 190° for sliceable.

Thanks again for the help..turns out mine were loin section and took.them to 190 and middle was dry but the one I cut to an individual portion was done 45 minutes before the other ones. Learned a great deal after the cook..haha. I did salt and coarse black pepper on that one shown in picture and they were really good.
20210128_165850.jpg

They sure look good . Salt , pepper and some smoke is all you need for me .

View attachment 482190
The shoulder country style ribs I get are strips of a pork butt. Like a pork steak, only thicker and narrower. Once the blade bone runs out, they call them boneless country style ribs. But I have to cook them way higher temp that 150°, more like 190° for sliceable.

Around here, those in your picture would be Pork Shoulder Steaks.
Our Shoulder/Butt cut CSRs are usually cut in 1" to 2" wide strips, sometimes only partially cut through, so I have to finish their cuts if I want them in strips.

If they have a lot of fat on them, I'll take them higher in IT, but if not much fat, I only go to 145°--150°.

Bear

Thanks again for the help..turns out mine were loin section and took.them to 190 and middle was dry but the one I cut to an individual portion was done 45 minutes before the other ones. Learned a great deal after the cook..haha. I did salt and coarse black pepper on that one shown in picture and they were really good.View attachment 482231

Looks Great in that Picture, Paulie!!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks again for the help..turns out mine were loin section and took.them to 190 and middle was dry but the one I cut to an individual portion was done 45 minutes before the other ones. Learned a great deal after the cook..haha. I did salt and coarse black pepper on that one shown in picture and they were really good.View attachment 482231
Looks delicious bud

Reactions: Paulie Walnuts 440
Around here, those in your picture would be Pork Shoulder Steaks.
Our Shoulder/Butt cut CSRs are usually cut in 1" to 2" wide strips, sometimes only partially cut through, so I have to finish their cuts if I want them in strips.

If they have a lot of fat on them, I'll take them higher in IT, but if not much fat, I only go to 145°--150°.

Bear
Our pork steaks are the full cross section cut. Maybe it's a western thing. :emoji_laughing:
3IG44g7.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the great info..ill take another crack at them again with the knowledge I have now. Instead of leaving them all together I'm gonna slice them individually and I'm sure they will quick quicker and may be more evenly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky