Interior insulation in a Charbroil electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChiefDJ

Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
I had an issue with the wires connecting to the heating elements burning and had to replace them. When I took the back off the smoker the wires were embedded in a spray foam insulation that I had to chip out to replace the wiring.

My question is: Is this insulation purely to keep heat in the smoker, or does it have fire retardant qualities?

Is it necessary for me to replace it for safety sake or can I get by without it?

Purely to keep heat in. Prob only good to 350 degrees or so. You can replace it with several off the shelf products if you desire.

Check out some of the MES threads with the heading of rewire and similar problems. Lots of guys have to re-insulate electric smokers after rewire. There should be a bunch of good suggestions there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky