Interesting thread on et-73 mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starsfaninco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 2, 2006
Denver
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...7290051153/p/1

I've had poor range problems since day one. The only way I've been able to get it to work inside the house is by setting the reciever in an open window. Maverick has sent me 2 replacements but I still have poor range. I opened it up this morning to try and extend the antenna.

I think we may have discovered why so many of the earlier ET-73's had problems. They left out the antennas!
icon_smile.gif

http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/Maverick/et-73.jpg

EDIT: Jeff and/or mods, this link is to the webber virtual bullet site and might not be appropriate here but does have some great info.

great thread Stars.......i am STILL reading it..........Bubba......looks like maybe yours didn't have a antenna wire inside the recieving unit........

My reception also is lacking, I will be taking mine apart tonight to experiment with.

Thanks.

where's smokie okie?

i see he has replied to this link that was posted........

i am asking one for christmas......but i am going to contact Maverick with this link and see what they have to say...........

okay.....i asked for a ET-73..........

now that i read all 12 pages of the link that Stars posted.......i just emailed em

here is my email........this was sent to the darren in the link......he is now operations manager

well..........i have been following this post .......12 pages worth.........

and it seems to me.......NOTHING has changed with the ET-73

and i asked for one for christmas..........seems after 2 years.......nothing has changed........so..........should i rescind my request from my family for one of these?????

i noticed that no one from your company bothered to even register to let all these folks know you are on the problem

can you give me ANY reason to buy one of your units?

Steve Nichols

Please post any response you might get. I'm very curious to see.

KE

you KNOW i will.........i really like the PROPAGANDA they spew......lets see if they have got their CRAP together yet..........

but their press release IS good....you have to give em that

I have 3 thermos- 1 quick check-and a couple in meat dials-I just a good ole boy that learned from elders-no need for fancy here.

okay.......Stars i said i would get back to you on any response.......NADA yet.........SO...............

i emailed the prez.........AND all of the staff........heres the copy......wonder if THIS will get any response.......

Dear sir..........

hello, my name is steve nichols.........

i have asked for christmas one of your E-73's......but have read some disturbing problems with them......re: No antenna with the unit.........i emailed Darren Keller last week......but still no response.......i know its the holidays......but i would of thought i would of at least gotten some acknowledgment

here is my email to him

well..........i have been following this post .......12 pages worth.........

and it seems to me.......NOTHING has changed with the ET-73

and i asked for one for christmas..........seems after 2 years.......nothing has changed........so..........should i rescind my request from my family for one of these?????

i noticed that no one from your company bothered to even register to let all these folks know you are on the problem

can you give me ANY reason to buy one of your units?

Steve Nichols

i really like what the advertisements say about your product......but if you click on that link i included......you have a ongoing problem with this unit........even in Sept. 07.....

i hope you can assure me, that your product performs as advertised........

thank you for your time

Steve Nichols

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Wow, I expected some sort of a response before now, even if it was just a form letter. This should garner some sort of response from them for sure...

KE

like a bulldog onna...........uh.........summin.........

btw squeeze............nice pic in your profile.......can't remember what i was doing there........think i was clicking on a thread........and fat fingered your profile..........hehehehe

Walking Dude;131813 said:
great thread Stars.......i am STILL reading it..........Bubba......looks like maybe yours didn't have a antenna wire inside the recieving unit........[/

Thank's bro, just read this thread and glad i did!!
Heading out to the shop rite now to start demolition, will report back!!

Star's..............GREAT THREAD!!!
biggrin.gif

bubba......if nothing else..........make that mod...........6.5 inches of 20 gauge wire and stick out the case........seems like it werks..........

Well, there was an antenna in the case, made a small notch on the bottom side and got it hanging out now.

Seem's like i have better range already, probe is in the shop and i'm getting a reading thru the door........lost reading inside the house but still MUCH better than it was.
Thank's alot for this thread bro!!!
wink.gif

you have a idea of the length steve?????

that link that was posted......one dude had a antenna inside.....but it was like 9 inches...........i believe he even made a mod to that..........

PLUS........try putting in NEW.....good batt.s

that mite even add some distance

Hey guys, antenna length will make a huge difference. I think I read in the thread that the frequency was 433mhz and that the antenna length needed to be 6.5 inches. Longer unless it's in the correct ratio 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave, etc could hurt your performance. Glad this thread is helping some folks. It's about time I contributed something other than a few pictures of cooked food :)

I'm a little concerned about compromising the water resistance of the unit by opening and notching the case.
Do we need to check receiver & transmitter for antennaes?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky