Insulation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want to insulate my firebox (maybe smoke chamber,too,depending on cost and looks) and Kaowool sounds good. How do I attach it on the inside of the firebox? If it is by using screws and washers , please tell me what type screw and what material.Also, can it be applied on the EXTERIOR of the firebox? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Thank you for sharing your knowledge!    

Turning a fridge into a smoker, removed old insulation having trouble locating Roxul, Home Depot and LOWE'S both don't stock and want me to buy a pallet, any other type suggestions

Deatony, I don't see why it wouldn't work. However I don't think it's gonna work the way you want. I'd go minimum 1" thick. Can you give more info on what your doing and pics?

Last edited:
Is any of this insulation material actually safe to be used inside of a smoker?  While it's able to withstand high temp it may still produce a toxic vapor or begin to flake fibers on your food.

Reactions: akcamo
Hi Guys!  I'm new here and was looking to see if someone had used K-Wool or any other insulation in a thin walled smoker.

Anyway...  I actually sell this stuff (K-Wool) and my vendor told me that it really should be encapsulated.  Especially if you are serving to the public.  The older Kaowool product did carry an inhalation warning.  The newer and (and preferred) "Superwool" product is a little denser, less "dusty" and carries no warning, but it still is ceramic fiber.  Do you really want that swirling around in your cooking chamber?

Reactions: akcamo
Long ago thread but thought I would chime in with something I found in a smoker I am looking to buy. The builder used this stuff which seems very good. 2" sandwiched between the outside iron walls and inside stainless steel walls. Firebox and cooking chambers. Going to check it out tomorrow. Sounds to be pretty efficient.

http://www.unifrax.eu.com/web/Audit.nsf/ByUNID/C900EFFDD9E28CDD852583160079348D/$File/Fiberfrax Durablanket S EN.pdf

c5p70ZF.jpg

4KAFFO5.jpg

MMydSZv.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky