Insulating firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hey all, I need ideas on insulating part of my firebox. The reason I just want to do part of it is because the tires are getting pretty hot. Check out the picture and it will give you a better idea.

I was going do sandwich a piece of fireboard or ceramic fiber wool between the fb and a piece of 1/4 steel.

Do you guys think I should do this on the outside like I plan to or on the inside. I was trying to keep fireboard and ceramic wool out of the cooking area is why I chose the outside.

As you can see I only have 1.5 inches or so to work with.

I'm open to other ideas also. As always, thanks fellas.

Attachments

• 20220707_145109.jpg
    20220707_145109.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 23
1 inch of 8lb ceramic wool and 14 or 16 gauge would work nicely. 1/4 inch would be over kill.

1 inch of 8lb ceramic wool and 14 or 16 gauge would work nicely. 1/4 inch would be over kill.
Cool, thanks for that. I was wondering about the 1/4. If I compress the ceramic wool so save space will it hurt the insulating properties any. I know house insulation is designed not to be compressed is why I ask.

Cool, thanks for that. I was wondering about the 1/4. If I compress the ceramic wool so save space will it hurt the insulating properties any. I know house insulation is designed not to be compressed is why I ask.
8lb ceramic wool won't compress like house stuff but its best if you have the "designed" space. You could also just use 1/2 inch thick stuff and it will still work pretty good. That said I have 3 one inch layers of semi compressed on my forge and I can almost put my hand on it at 2300 deg inside temp....

8lb ceramic wool won't compress like house stuff but its best if you have the "designed" space. You could also just use 1/2 inch thick stuff and it will still work pretty good. That said I have 3 one inch layers of semi compressed on my forge and I can almost put my hand on it at 2300 deg inside temp....
Excellent! Thank you for your help. This is the way I'll go.

Excellent! Thank you for your help. This is the way I'll go.
You are welcome.... make sure you wear a respirator (you can get an adjustable 3m one for 12-15) and gloves when working with it, its very nasty stuff!

Reactions: Ringer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky