Insulated Smoker Build HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
My friend (the one who has the Bull Smoker for sale) is wanting to build a New Insulated Smoker A pit inside a pit made out of steel to fit inside an inclosed trailer. I know there are several Pit makers who use this design. Some of the questions I have is what type of materal is best to use for insulating, how thick, does the outer box need to be vented? sould the firebox and the smoke chamber both need to insulated, what about the doors. Any Information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Insulating everything you can will help with heat loss.  Price and weight wise you will have to decide how much to do.  I am just doing my firebox since my cook chamber is 5/16 steel. I am using Mineral wool for insulation.  We have about 1/2 of an inch space between our inner and outer walls.  The space with the insulation between the inner and outer wall is also sealed.  I have found a good source for the insulation at Hydroponic / plant growing places online and local.  2 cubic feet runs about 30 bucks. 

Last edited:
X2 on the more insulation the better, no need for a vent between the layers, in fact a vent there would be a bad deal. Complete and total heat loss. And yes to insulate the doors as well.

Fourthwind, would you share the details on the mineral wool source?

X2 on the more insulation the better, no need for a vent between the layers, in fact a vent there would be a bad deal. Complete and total heat loss. And yes to insulate the doors as well.

Fourthwind, would you share the details on the mineral wool source?
Here is where I picked up ours.  http://www.growdepotcolorado.com/rockwool-1.aspx   They are local to me.  I purchased the 2 CF bag of mini cubes.  The mini cubes are 3/8 of an inch square on average.  I will have approximately a 1/2 inch gap between walls that we will stuff these into, then seal up.  For those who don't know, rock wool is the same as mineral wool.

Any information on an insulated build would be appreciated. Pictures, Ideas, anything

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky