instead of a container for brining....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
could you use a couple of trash bags together. Seems that would work really well to keep the liquid all over the meat with easier clean up?
Has anyone tried this yet?

Lisa
tongue.gif

Lisa,

I put a couple of trash bags inside a 5 gallon bucket, works great.I think if you just used the trash bags the liquid would spread to far , ziplocks on the other hand work great.

PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
Maybe it's in my head but I would be wondering what kind of health regulations are imposed on products that make trash bags.. I can't imagine they would waste too much time regulating something designed for trash.

I could be wrong..
icon_rolleyes.gif

Around here you can get those 2 gallon zip locs that work quite well. also those big turkey roasting bags would probably work great.

At any rate.. yes, I think anything that will hold the liquid and keep it around the meat will work.

Remember to use a non reactive container.. i.e. no metal buckets or pans.

I get the best results from a 5 gallon bucket bought at Home Depot and cleaned with bleach.

yep..forgot to mention the dedicated bucket part
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I guard mine like a pit bull.. everyone has been informed of its royal allegiance to brining and brining only
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

They do make a food grade trash can liner for restaurants for food storage, but it maybe
hard to get some. I assuming that lisaCSCO is in colorado springs and you may try Hobart Restaurant supply off of Circle! (if they're still there!)

Hefty makes a 2.5 gallon zip-lock bag that is awesome for any oversized jobs you have. Look around for a large red-orange box.

I have used them to marinade 3 cut up chickens at once so they should work for a whole chicken or two when brining....just keep them in a pan in case you incur a leaky seal.

Good Luck and Good Smoke...!!

Lisa -

Large Zip locks will keep the juices in. For smaller brines (10 lb turkeys, whole chickens or chicken parts) I use a big container I bought full of cheeseballs. Holds about 2.5 gallons of liquid. Even makes a great 2.5 gallon fermenter for beer. It's not a whole lot bigger than a gallon of milk and fits nice on the shelf.

The picture is of a 10 lb turkey laying on the boton of the cheeseball bucket.
ac15d922_vbattach12825.jpg

I bit the bullett and bought a couple of these plastic tub/totes for a couple of bucks each. These are 12 quart boxes with a lid. large enough for just about everything except maybe a streched out rack of ribs or more than 11 pounds of brisket (the ribs could be folded). I have used the same VAC PAC bags that stuff has come in to hold an overnight brine or marinade of apple juice. I also have a large glass lasagna dish that is handy. The tote in the pics is full of turkey leggs and a the white ball is an egg (Just testing the strength of the brine)
df6c09aa_vbattach12826.jpg

Oh great I can see it now, my wife is covered in cheese, my litlle dog (a hot dog) is orange, all of this so I can get the jar. But that is a good idea. Thanks Debi
icon_smile.gif

Those food grade buckets are expensive, when I'm making corned beef I rub the hell out of the brisket and put it in a TURKEY BASTING BAG! They cost about 50 cents each are food grade and large enough to tie them off. A week later I boil the beef and just toss the bag and juice away.

I went down to the local Dairy Queen outlet and picked up a couple of the 5 gallon plastic ice cream buckets. They are obviously food grade, so a quick wash and rinse with warm soapy water and you are good to go. They even come with lids so they are perfect.

You can go to your local restaurant supply store and get a plastic non-pourous 5 gallon bucket for about 12 dollars. (at least thats how much mine was). They are made of lexan plastic (non-pourous) and food grade which does not allow bacteria to get into all the microscopic nooks and crannys of regular plastic. When I wash it, I use a ratio of about 2 cups water to a teaspoon of bleach, then rinse it very well. Better safe than sorry.

I've gotten to where I see containers before I see what's in them!

I spotted a neat little stainless container at WalMart the other day that I know is going to be a portable mini kegerator soon ...
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I can help with that.

The bags used for regular, off-the-shelf, trash bags are made with the same quality standards as ziplock or other food storage bags. Your larger, busier, restaurants use them for marinates all the time.

So, don't be afraid to use them to marinate, brine, or any other meat soak.
icon_idea.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky