Instant pots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazzycajun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2007
wichita ks
Found one on market place for $20 , and said wth. Truth be told I really don’t need another cooking gadget for inside, but seen several people brag them up. I was working night shift unexpectedly so I’ve done ribs twice not bad but definitely no where close to the pit. once this heat wave leaves and we get into fall definitely going to try some soups. I was curious how many of you have them, and what are some of your go to items to cook. I’m looking at reading some of the under pressure books that I’ve seen recommend, any other books or suggestions tia

When my wife got one (now two) I was a little hesitant, but they are awesome.
My favorites are soups and stews that would take a day+ on the stove can be done in an hour. They are the best for hard boiling eggs and great for making stock. Typically stock on the stove takes 2+days, the instapot can do it in 2 hours.

- Jason

If you can get it that cheap why not? I just made corned beef and cabbage with ours last night.

corned_beef.jpg

I use mine for soups and stews. Go to utensil for gumbo, spaghetti sauce, lentil/bean soups. I hardly cook anything in a pot on the stove anymore.

I'm another one that has 2 . I love 'em . Does a lot of thing well . Just take time to learn it .
My Daughter was doing cheese cake in hers . I need to get her to do another one . Really good .
Here's one thread on using pork loin for tacos .

Mrs. Jarhead uses her’s for soups, stews and beans (mentioned above) and learned to make potato salad cooking the potatoes and eggs at the same time; she also makes yogurt and pot roast. They are quite convenient for those who need something cooked quickly

Reactions: chopsaw
I love mine, but to be honest I don't use it anywhere near enough. In the winter is when mine stays on the counter. As others have said, soups and stews are a no brainer with these things. I make my goulash with it. I've also done rice with it with great results. There is a guy up in NY that has a youtube channel devoted to Instant pot cooking. The stuff he does looks awesome.

Reactions: Jarhead6870
If it didn’t do anything other than cook rice as well as it does, it’s worth getting. It does a whole lot more…

Reactions: chopsaw
I've never done rice in mine, but I still love the darn thing. Especially for hard boiled eggs, but I've made killer soups and chili in it among other things. I haven't used a crockpot since I bought mine maybe 5 years ago. For $20 I'd snatch that thing.

My go to is chicken thighs/brown rice . 15 mins, release pressure, another 3 mins with 1/2 bag stir fry veggies. Very simple meal.
Enough online recipes. You Tube, Six sisters has many quick easy recipes.

My go to is chicken thighs/brown rice .
I was just looking at chicken parts methods . I have some leg and thighs dry brining . Hot and nasty outside . Plus whatever is in the air is making allergies go nuts . I just might try it today .

Crack pasta is one my Daughter does a lot . Really good meal .

Crack pasta?? Do tell.
It's a cream cheese , ranch , chicken broth thing . Has chicken in it , but we leave that out and just eat it as pasta . It's addicting .
You can find the recipes online , or I'll have to get it from her .

Found it , here ya go . If you shred your own cheese it melts better . Crumbled bacon is good added at the table .

3 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
16 oz box pasta . She uses penne or ziti
1 packet of ranch seasoning
8 oz block of cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheese . your choice of cheese . We shred our own . I think she uses jack or cheddar .

Put the pasta , chicken stock , water and ranch seasoning in the instant pot .
Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes .
Quick release .
Mix in cream cheese and shredded cheese to melt .
Let sit 'til thickened .

Yep... looked it up anyway. I don't eat much pasta anymore just to avoid the carbs. I get to eating anything with heavy cream and cream cheese involved and it gets ugly fast.

I love my Instant pot. My go to gadget for cooking rice. Perfect every time. Also great for many other applications.

One of may favorites is making dulche de leche with it.

Have fun.

JC :emoji_cat:

Found one on market place for $20 , and said wth. Truth be told I really don’t need another cooking gadget for inside, but seen several people brag them up. I was working night shift unexpectedly so I’ve done ribs twice not bad but definitely no where close to the pit. once this heat wave leaves and we get into fall definitely going to try some soups. I was curious how many of you have them, and what are some of your go to items to cook. I’m looking at reading some of the under pressure books that I’ve seen recommend, any other books or suggestions tia
I have one and though I don't use it often, it is GREAT for what I do use it for.

I find it is amazing for 2 main purposes and other purposes just "meh".
I use it for:
  1. Purpose#1: Anything that takes a ton of time to cook in a pot on the stove or in an oven (in oven without roasted texture). Beans, braised dishes (better in oven but faster in instantpot), soups/stews, and things like these that take forever.

2. Purpose#2: Absolutely nailing specific things that may not be so easy to nail on the stove or in the oven. Things like, rice, boiled eggs, etc.

I find to be just "meh" for other things because it really doesn't speed things up that much unless you just love the idea of cooking stuff that was initially frozen, like a whole frozen chicken. At this point though, I may question what in the hell is being made and exactly how good is it lol.

Finally these didn't make the main purpose list but are useful oddball things you might try that it does well.
  • Yogurt... made the BEST yogurt I've ever eaten with the Yogurt function. I'm not really a yogurt guy but I can say it was the best yogurt and if I was really into yogurt I'd be doing this nonstop... but I'm just not that into it lol. I even fermented for 24 hrs to basically eliminate all carbs and sweeten with Erythritol to make zero sugar and basically zero net carb Yogurt flavored with Lorann candy oils for strawberry, cherry, watermelon (unexpectedly my favorite), and used vanilla extract (real and immitation, real is best) to make vanilla.
  • Steaming things... mostly I steamed things to sterilize them but if you need to fully steam something like broccoli, etc. that may take some time and may have issues being thoroughly steamed, this thing will easily do it

So long story short recap. For me, if it takes a long time to cook a traditional way then InstantPot is awesome for it, or you need to simply nail something like rice, it's awesome.
For things that don't take very long, it really buys you no time and doesn't really improve on it.
I like some of the special oddball things you can do with it but I seem to be a rare exception that uses it for those things.

I hope this info helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky