Instacure 1 Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MrMcCure

Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, All. First time poster.

Searched around, but wasn't able to find something related to my predicament. I have experience with curing meat. Spent time in Italy learning over there and have done much at home. While in Italy, we cured with salt only, no Prague powder, Insta Cure, etc. Everything was great. At home, I always use curing salts.

The other day, by my own fault, I added Insta Cure #1 to a pork belly I was going to hang in my curing fridge for three months to make pancetta tesa (the flat kind of pancetta, not the rolled kind) instead of Insta Cure #2. I used a curing process I've used before with great success where I vacuum pack the belly for 30 days, used the proper percentages of salts and sugar, etc. Then, took it out, coated it in black pepper, and hung it in the style of pancetta tesa.

My question is, would it still be safe to hang for three months (the goal being to be able to eat it without cooking it) with the Insta Cure #1 knowing that it was cured correctly and safely and hung in an environment that is the correct temperature and humidity. I understand Insta Cure #2 is what I SHOULD have used for a long-term dry age, but by my own absentmindedness I added the #1 to the mix.

Is there a reaction that occurs with Insta Cure #1 over a long time? If I was just going traditional and using salt, I wouldn't feel as worried. Just worried about any adverse effects of nitrite in a longer-term (three-month/90-day duration). I can always pull it at one month and use it for great bacon.

Thanks for any help!

I think the nitrates in Cure #2 break down over time and turn into nitrites, a time release sort of thing, and this is what allows you to dry cure for long periods of time, and have an edible product without cooking.

Go ahead and add cure#2 to the belly.... No problem.... The FDA allows up to....
Use the "Dry Cured" column.....
Cure ingoing maximums.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky