Injection question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Glenn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Knoxville, Tenn
Tomorrow I am smoking a pork butt. I like to inject these and usually use an apple juice base. This time myself and one son are eating low carb so apple juice is out. I would love some suggestions for an injection. For the rub I will use an artificially sweetened brown sugar substitute.

Reactions: JLeonard
Use pork broth or chicken broth, one cup should do the trick. I make smoked pork broth using a package of smoked neck bones and freeze it just for injecting back into pork.

Reactions: JC in GB
I do keto on all my smoking and cooking. I use Swerve Brown or Lakanto Golden in my rubs. I do not inject butts but if I did I’d consider diet root beer or diet cherry Dr Pepper.

I went low carb 4-5 years ago for 18 months. I used a couple of the diet versions of juice they had for spritzing as I usually had a bottle in the fridge.

Pork I like 3 parts juice to 1 part AC vinegar. I was healthier on low carb for sure, and really felt better.

Injection I'd use the same ratio, with only salt added.

Reactions: jcam222
I went low carb 4-5 years ago for 18 months. I used a couple of the diet versions of juice they had for spritzing as I usually had a bottle in the fridge.

Pork I like 3 parts juice to 1 part AC vinegar. I was healthier on low carb for sure, and really felt better.

Injection I'd use the same ratio, with only salt added.
The Ocean Spray Diet Cran Pineapple would be a good choice I bet.

I've used no salt vegetable stock on pork ... Really good....

veggie stock.jpg

That sounds very interesting. A lot of heat in the final product?
Nope... not a lot of heat... after you pull the pork and mix it up the flavor and heat spreads out and it tones it down... then you can add as much as you want to the final product

First I made a batch of Jeff’s rub using artificially sweetened brown sugar substitute. I decided to go with chicken broth, 1 cup with 1/3 cup of Jeff’s rub mixed in. Injected then rubbed down and parked in the fridge overnight. I guess we will see later today. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will be using some of them in the future I’m sure.

First I made a batch of Jeff’s rub using artificially sweetened brown sugar substitute. I decided to go with chicken broth, 1 cup with 1/3 cup of Jeff’s rub mixed in. Injected then rubbed down and parked in the fridge overnight. I guess we will see later today. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will be using some of them in the future I’m sure.
That's a lot of rub, you may get some streaking in the meat, but the flavor is really what counts. Another way to season the inside meat is with a finishing rub. Make a super fine grind of the surface rub, then mix it into the meat as you break the butt down. You want it so fine that it melts within a minute or so, or will dissolve when you moisten the meat.

Late to the party. I did a pork belly injected with hard apple cider. Brined it with hard apple cider. Apples, onions scallions, salt white pepper in the bag.
Just rubbed with salt and pepper. Smoked over apple in the Weber.
Very tasty

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky