Injecting pork butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinADK

Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
I have injected some turkeys but never a pork butt. Is it worth it and if so what do you guys use for the injection?

I usually do inject pork butts but it's still good without injections. I think it does help with flavor some. I like a 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. You can play with all kinds of different juices like pineapple juice mango etc. Have done just apple juice and also just stright apple cider vinegar. Give injection a try I think you will like the results.

I’ve never tried it. Following though for the reply’s. I’ve heard a few things about it along with putting bacteria in the meat or something so never really tried it

Most of the time I inject to add flavor , I will do chicken as its quicker than a marinade imo. I never worry about putting bacteria into meat as I use clean equipment ect, on a large scale cooking I can see getting some cross contamination but home small cooks are more easily controlled imo. you need to decide if you want to add flavor or are worried about drying out, pork normally has enuff fat , beef roasts can be too lean and can use some help, be careful of the salt content if using a rub that has it.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I have injected some turkeys but never a pork butt. Is it worth it and if so what do you guys use for the injection?

I like the flavor of pork so I don't inject. However if you want to spice things up a little. Then just add some of your rub and pan dripping back into the pork once it's been pulled.

Chris

never injected pork or poultry. I have injected beef consume into my briskets and I think that does make a difference. but never did a side by side to confirm.

I like the flavor of pork so I don't inject. However if you want to spice things up a little. Then just add some of your rub and pan dripping back into the pork once it's been pulled.

Chris

I agree with Chris, and in my opinion, A Butt doesn't need any help.
Some good rub before smoking, and put the pan drippings back in the pulled pork, after de-fatting is all you need.

Like These:
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (230°--April 23, 2013)
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018)

Bear

Big fan injecting pretty much everything. For butts, plain apple juice works well for a first foray. Many guys like cherry Dr. Pepper. gmc2003 gmc2003 & Bearcarver Bearcarver make a good observation... Injecting vs adding back. Hard to say, never did a side by side but probably close. Both will good... I was pretty blown away with my results from injecting so I will stick to it. Mine is based on Mixons. Great way to find out is to take a butt and half it. Inject one and not the other but add juice back and find out for yourself.

SmokyMose SmokyMose You don't see a lot of info about injecting technique but since I do it all the time let me give you some pointers. Use a broadcast needle. Remove needle to fill. Wait a few seconds before removing needle for the pressure to equalize to minimize it squirting out at ya.

Generally butts do not need injecting but you can enhance the flavor profile by first brining for 12-15 hours. I always use one from Alton Brown and the pork flavor still shines! See the recipe in the sig below.

I usually put the rub on, put the butt in a ziplock bag and pour a can of apple juice concentrate in and let it marinade for 24 hr while rotating several times.

Reactions: Motorboat40
Dry brining or marinading does help but a butt is very thick and penetration is limited. Longer brining times help but the results will be no where are good as injecting. This alone is what converted to injecting. Uniformity. While you can add back in drippings, rub, finish sauce, I am not confident you will have the same level of control as injecting.

I started injecting, not sure if it really helps or not, but my guests like it. I do just straight apple juice. I also put my Butt in a pan and foil wrap in once the IT hits 150ish and finish like that. I think do my pull and add in rub and drippings from that pan to boost the flavor and moisture. The pan is almost always full of drippings by the time the butt is done and ready to pull. You dont get as much bark doing it like this, but you do get a very moist pull.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky