ingrediients

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeff.carter

Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
would it be suitable to replace beer in a recipe withe ginger ale or ginger beer. i have an allergy to alcohol. thanks

Reactions: jcam222
thank you i'll have to think hard on it. im 8 yrs sober.
I am 33 years sober so I’ll chime in. Despite the fact it burns off the taste and smell can be a strong trigger. Because it’s obvious you are nervous about it you should simply substitute something like you mentioned or skip the recipe entirely. Your sobriety is far more important than any recipe. What are you looking at that calls for beer? Here is a nice link on some subs for various dishes that call for alcohol. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...wine/the-best-alcohol-substitutes-for-cooking

Last edited:
Congrats on the sobriety J Jeff.carter and jcam222 jcam222 .

Robert txsmoker txsmoker had a great suggestion with the NA or what used to be called near beer. I don't know of any other flavor profile to replace beer.

The base level (non alcohol) smell and taste of beer, wine, or liquors is the major sauce ingredient.
i have to work around my wife that doesn't like either the alcohol or the base flavors.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
Alcohol burns off at cooking temperature and is non existent in the finished product.

I thought this too. But, in reality and especially important to those in Recovery, depending on several factors, other ingredients, cooking temp, size of the pan and cooking method, Simmer, Sauté, Baked, anywhere from 5% to 85% Alcohol may still remain in the finished dish, even after a couple Hours of cooking! Some additional info...JJ

would it be suitable to replace beer in a recipe withe ginger ale or ginger beer. i have an allergy to alcohol. thanks

What Dish are trying to make. Different substitutes for different Beers and Recipe.
Are you looking to use Beer for Flavor and/or Color, Malt, Bitterness, Dark color of Stout? Or Leavening like in Beer Batter?
We can get you close regardless...JJ

I thought this too. But, in reality and especially important to those in Recovery, depending on several factors, other ingredients, cooking temp, size of the pan and cooking method, Simmer, Sauté, Baked, anywhere from 5% to 85% Alcohol may still remain in the finished dish, even after a couple Hours of cooking! Some additional info...JJ

That is great need to know information there. Thanks Chef JJ

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Because it’s obvious you are nervous about it you should simply substitute something like you mentioned or skip the recipe entirely. Your sobriety is far more important than any recipe.

Obviously I was not aware of your situation when I replied about the NA beer. Jeff has given you the best advice you're likely to get. The taste can trigger memories from a past that you don't want to revisit. There are SOOOO many great things you can cook without potentially compromising the most important thing in your life. Jeff...excellent response my friend and very solid advice.

Robert

All great points already. Beer sounds really sexy for cooking (especially manly foods) but in my experience it does not perform anyway you expect or add much real flavor. The only thing it really brings is a little acidity and that is easily substituted. In addition to Jeff's ideas, you can use dark malt extract to add sweetness and body like dark beers would and use bitters to add bitterness like that of hops. I am certain these will perform better than actually using beer. Beer can chicken and all that type of stuff is bogus. I am a super smeller BTW. What recipe you looking at?

can use dark malt extract to add sweetness and body like dark beers would and use bitters to add bitterness like that of hops.

Interesting idea. Ive seen Malt Vinegar, Cola, for color and acid balance and a little Cocoa Powder, as a Stout Substitute...JJ

I agree. As said, it would depend on the recipe- what I am trying to make. If I was making "beer batter" yes, Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer would easily work in its place.
If I was making something like a Beer Cheese Soup, then using one of the other suggestions such as a malt extract.

I was thinking beer can chicken of course. And also using it as a marinade and a mop sauce. A friend of mine uses beer sauce on on his chicken and im reluctant to enjoy it. All of the ideas are good.

I was thinking beer can chicken of course. And also using it as a marinade and a mop sauce. A friend of mine uses beer sauce on on his chicken and im reluctant to enjoy it. All of the ideas are good.
So for beer can chicken you can literally use anything. I’ve used root beer, ginger ale , Dr Pepper and even just water in a can. ZERO impact on flavor between them. As far as for a baste I’d just go with a standard baste for chicken.

A friend of mine uses beer sauce on on his chicken and im reluctant to enjoy it. All of the ideas are good.
I used to fish with a guy that had the same allergy . I would only bring water and made sure I didn't have a hat or shirt that advertised the wrong thing .
Not knocking anyone , just saying .

Anyway , go thru the jelly and jam isle at the store . I just picked up some apricot preserves for a future double smoked ham . Pick something you like , and cut it with a something else you like . heat it on the stove and season to taste . Add the rub you're using . Just watch the sugars so it doesn't get to dark .
Keep us posted and post it up when you do it .

Reactions: Fueling Around
You have received some very good advise/substitutes for cooking without alcohol. I too have long term sobriety and find I can replicate the flavor in most dishes. One day/meal at a time

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Ive seen Malt Vinegar, Cola, for color and acid balance and a little Cocoa Powder, as a Stout Substitute...JJ
Those would also work well. You can even go as far as using stout extract which is unfermented beer reduced down including the hops. Seriously tho, even in beer cheese soup I bet malt vinegar would work better than beer. It's somewhat well known in homebrewing circles that cooking with beer is just blah. The caveat would be an extremely hoppy IPA type beer in an very bland food say bread. Even then, the effect is mild at best and not worth risking sobriety over. You could use this instead: https://hopwtr.com/ If cooking with beer was a big deal I would say so even in a thread with sober guys, but dead serious, it's fantasy for lack of a better word.

You need a new friend. :emoji_laughing: Beer can chicken is pure fantasy and I have researched this. What is actually happening is the beer can setup keeps the bird in a better position on the grill/smoker so it cooks more evenly. Lots of guys spatchcock for this but I just halve it so it's easier to handle. This year I made the best chicken ever. Happened to be jerk chicken but could be another flavor. Cliff notes: rub several days in advance, smoke 325F until 160F IT breast and 180F IT drums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Just sub water for the beer. You cannot taste the difference. In fact, I've made it many times with just an empty soda can to help steady the bird. If interested, see recipe in the sig below.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky